Prax and vegitarians.

From: laidlaw_at_draco.rutgers.edu
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 15:38:40 EST

        I will add my thoughts about vegetarians and prax. I believe that most medieval cultures ate far less meat then we do. And in most of Glorantha it should be possible, and probably not that hard, to be a vegetarian. However it should be close to impossible in Prax, unless you are a heardbeast. Waha split up the "men" and "heardbeasts" because that was the only way for them to survive. The Wastes and Prax have been so damaged/drained by the death of Genert and Storm Bulls fight with the Devil that "humans" can not live on the plants available there alone. That said I can see several ways that one could be a vegetarian there:

Importing vegetables from outside of Prax, importing seeds and growing them

	locally might work but I see Prax's inability to support humans on
	the local plants as a curse and as such should cause the plants grown
	in Prax to no longer be "complete".  One could see the first year's
	crop being normal but the second years less so until by the end of
	a few years the now local plants would have the same problems as the
	native ones.

Being a less strict vegetarian.  Eating milk and eggs too might be enough.
	Adding fish or, if your objection is to the killing of animals blood,
	and it certainly should be.

Then there is the trollish solution of eating elves, but I do not think that
	the Charlana Arroy's would find this in keeping with their vows.

This does give all those adventurers who have worked up debts to the
	Charlana Arroys something to do.   Escort this caravan of turnips
	to Pavis so that the healers can keep their vows...

						Angus Laidlaw
						laidlaw_at_hades.rutgers.edu