Earth Mother Stuff, Miniminimini con

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 95 13:44:00 PST

Maize- I remember learning that if maize is eaten with lime (calcium carbonate) two additional amino acids become available. And, not surprizingly, many corn products and traditional recepies contain lime.  (Read the labels on your taco chips). I imagine that Gloranthan cultures with monocrops have similar traditions.

Which begs the question - are there really many monocrop cultures? What, with Mallia's new anti-plant spells, it seems somewhat risky!

Dennis, I was going to nominate you for the Daily Poet Emeritus position, but Joerg beat me to it!

Joerg goes on:
Most of the trouble certainly comes from the unwillingness of the God Learners to accept the changing faces of the Earth Mother - to make her fit into their monomyth, they fragmented her, thereby failing to understand her.

I like this theory. While trying to cram as much of "The Red Goddess" as possible into my confused brain before the Broken Council, I realized that ancient Gloranthan Earth Mothers weren't just celestial versions of Jan Brady. They definately liked running society THEIR way, and they accepted death as a very necessary part of life. If there wasn't enough death, they were happy to offer up a king or two to put things right. The God Learners might well have drawn nice, neat, completely artficial lines between the Theyalan earth goddess. In Ancient Peloria (if I'm not TOO confused), there were several earth goddesses, and each had different aspects, but they ruled jointly.

Announcement:

Niel Robinson (Victoria), David Dunham and I are planning a VERY MINI con here in Seattle, May 20 to 22, 1995. I feel the word "Con" is too strong - we're talking about 3 to 4 game sessions, and a Gloranthan Information Exchange session (where people pick an area of interest and lead a 5-10 minuite discussion). It's really just a get-together of local RQ'ers: a chance to play with a different ref, or try a game with more than four players, etc. The cost should be free, with accommodations including your own sleeping bag and somebody's floor. (Dog hair provided). The games will probably be held in folk's homes, although we're trying to finagle a room at the university for the Info Xchange. We think we can handle 15 to 20 people.
We don't guarantee that it'll be smooth or well organized, but Dave Pearton, our local Lodrilli, has assured us there will be beer.

So - those of you in driving distance, drop me a line if you're interested!  Niel thinks there may be some of you lurking in Vancouver...

Pam
carlsonp_at_wdni.com

A male problem, similar to the one Pam recounted in her "Broken Council" report? (had me chuckling for a while, especially the bit about the "useless appendage")