Lunar troops; Brithini comedy

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 16 Feb 95 17:57:19 EST

Troop types:

On Romans v. Greeks remember that "professional" Greek armies like those of Sparta or Macedonia were extremely unusual: most hoplite forces were levied from the richer citizens of a city-state, more comparable to the early Roman peasant-army than the later Republican forces. The Red Army, as a standing professional military force, is .: similar in many ways to the Romans, despite its generally Grecian gear.

On Thunder Delta Slingers, I'd say these are the *famous* Lunar missile units. What was the population of the Balearic Islands in antiquity, eh? Dragon Pass probably overrepresents these in the army, but they are dead good as missile troops.

I'd also cast my vote for various of the 3-3-4 units in Dragon Pass (on both sides) to be considered "light infantry" of one type or another, rather than "light cavalry". Everyone knows there's too much cavalry in the armies of Dragon Pass, even if you halve their relative numbers (as I've done in my estimated unit sizes). This gives us Lunar Peltasts in the boardgame, which is a Good Thing. (The Lost Sky Peltasts in the Tarsh War came about through this process; I'd also convert their fellows among the Yalamese and Jintori, not forgetting the Colymar, Tworidge Farm and Thieves' Arm "cavalry" units of Argrath's Free Army).

More "evidence" for 1,000-man DP counters would be the size of the Lunar Army's Pavis garrison: 3,000 men, a thousand each from the Marble Phalanx hoplites, Silver Shields peltasts, and Antelope Lancers. (Of course, I'd lie and say that the latter would be two DP counters and not one...).

One for Alex:

It's a commonly-held misconception that the Brithini are a grim and humourless race. Nothing could be further from the truth! Indeed, all Brithini enjoy their compulsory 15-minute "humour break" shortly before dusk on alternative Windsdays. At this, one or more of the Seven Sacred Jokes may be told, and even laughed at.

EXAMPLE: (use Bavarian accents for best effect)

Dronar: "Why did the chicken cross the road?"
Horal:  "I don't know, why did the chicken cross the road?"
Dronar: "To get to the other side!"

[both laugh uproariously for 10 seconds, then cut].

Repeat as directed for 1600 years...

(Many thanks to MOB and the last Cultural Exchange audience for helping to unearth this peculiar fact of Western life.)

Nick