Lords of Terror: why no insanity?

From: Mike Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 23:30:05 GMT

I just bought LORDS OF TERROR and was quite pleased with it. The changes to Vivamort irritated me at first but I found them logical on second thought. I would guess that the practice of vampirism came into being when Western men began to die. It would be a natural temptation for a Sorcerer who did not believe in any God, (a pre-Malkion sorcerer) to do anything at all to stay alive when they had once known life unending. So I see a cult (small c) of vampirism coming into existence among the desperate and spreading. The story about the Darkness Spirit who guarded the Rune Death would be a later myth-making by the Orlanthi barbarians.

I also liked the Chaos Lore skill. But I think we could use a mechanic that would discourage delving too deep into the mysteries of Chaos. There are terrible temptations there, and terrible shocks that can shatter the mind.

Do we need a Sanity stat for RQ? Any proposals?

"Heverybody knows, there isa no Sanity Clause."