Illumination; Insanity; Androgyne; Horse Thieves

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 17 Feb 95 02:56:32 EST

Peter writes:

> the relationship between Illumination and Nysalor is pretty much like
> the relation between Dialetic Materialism and the Soviet Union.

I'd say, the relationship is between

	  pre-Illumination	:	social unrest
	   Nysalor Riddles	:	dialectical materialism
	  the Lunar Empire	:	the Soviet Union

Each requires the others as its prerequisite, but does not cover all of the same ground or perfectly encapsulate or embody what has gone before.

But I don't want to get into this flame-war, buckets-o'quotes dispute. You're both booked for ongoing violations of Rule 3. Can the argument be moved offline, please?

Mike writes:

> I think we could use a mechanic that would discourage delving too deep
> into the mysteries of Chaos. There are terrible temptations there, and
> terrible shocks that can shatter the mind. Do we need a Sanity stat for
> RQ? Any proposals?

Call of Cthulhu has one, and that game uses basically the same mechanics as RuneQuest...

David Blizzard asks:

> In all the writing on Glorantha the only time I have encountered
> Androgenous is in the Dragon Pass board game. Does anyone know of any
> other sources which mention her.

Wyrms Footprints will include a previously-unpublished fragment by Greg which gives the Halfbird's answers to Thumbless Talcon's riddles. They mention a godlike "Androgyne" in several places. I'm still scratching my head...

(Wyrms Footprints also has Jar-eel the Razoress, NUDE! Well, we've got to sell it somehow...)

Dave writes:

> I think of these [3-3-4 FA] units as being basically medium infantry
> but with quite a few horses accompanying them.

The Horse Thieves' Arm has a lovely ring to it, and parallels the Viking Great Army's method of enhancing mobility... Presumably these units are held up by Ironhoof's cavalry-freeze because no way are they leaving so many valuable horses and supplies standing around doing nothing.

Nick