re:Glorantha Digest V1 #154, Lime/Maize

From: ian (i.) gorlick <"ian>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 12:08:00 -0500

David Cake,
When maize is being prepared for tortillas, it is indeed soaked in water with calcium carbonate (lime) or sometime wood-ash is used. I forget the details of the chemistry involved (I don't remember if it was extra amino acids being released) but this process does prevent some dietary deficiencies that normally follow from relying too much on maize.

This is one of those truly remarkable bits of folklore based applied bio-chemistry that leaves you wondering "How did people ever figure that out?"

I'm sure Alison would be able to give you a more complete answer, but that will have to wait for a week. I'm going away for a week, so she won't be able to use my account. Are there any other biologists out there who could explain this reaction?

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #156