Re: This, that

From: Paul Reilly <paul_at_phyast.pitt.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 15:36:14 +0500

  Paul Reilly here... I wrote:
>>some Earth 'monotheists' (e.g., Solomon the Wise)

  Ian Gorlick replied:
> it is not necessarily so
>that Solomon was a monotheist, anyway. The first commandment, "Thou shalt have
>no other gods before me" probably meant "No other gods shall have primacy of
>place in my temples", at least according to some scholars. Other gods were
>perfectly acceptable in minor positions.

  Hence the quotes in my message. We moderns often project a false image of pure monotheism back into history before it was developed. (Other ideas too, like "money".) We are likely to do this with GLorantha also.

  But anyway, the point I was making at the time was that just because you are a sworn Initiate of one god, doesn't necessarily mean that you won't sacrifice to another, even in the extreme case of Judaism.

  >It would be interesting to
>know if the Malkioni have the same split. By now, I suspect not,
>as they have a fully developed monotheism.

    ^^^^

  Which "they"? Carmanians? Henotheists? Saint-worshipping Loskalmi? Where does one draw the line for "full" monotheism?

> A very special magic might make the corn so nutritious that
>you didn't have to eat anything else.

  Maybe this is not a "spell" on the maize but a change in the eater brought about by Initiation?

  We play Valind initiates can't be killed by cold. (They can be FROZEN SOLID, but not killed...) Maybe initiates of a Grain Goddess can actually survive on that grain alone. Kind of like Praxians and the high-meat diet of the Survival Covenant?

  I do support profound changes coming with Initiation.