Hrestoli

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:05:14 1997

I asked:
>> Nick, how about the "true" history behind the Loskalmi New Hrestoli >> church, not the one which Gaiseron tells now?

> RuneQuest writeups of the New Hrestoli Idealist Sect of Loskalm and the Holy
> Rokari Church of Seshnela will be in our "Malkioni Special", Tales #13, which is
> due out soonish.

Good News indeed.

> Also, I'm not sure of what Joerg is implying: Gaiseron the Mystic is a wholly
> admirable and worthy character, IMHO.

Having met David Gadbois incarnating him, I can but agree - had he asked, I (Pandirius) would have converted on the spot.

No, it's just that Gaiseron's heroquesting seems to have altered his childhood memory (and that of his compatriots) wrt what their society looked like before the Ban. When they encountered things similar to their own (forgotten) society after the Ban had lifted, the New Idealist Hrestoli found it shocking...

> Any disreputable actions of the Loskalmi
> Church were performed in the Bad Old Days before the Ban: most noteworthy was
> the festering corruption at the Sixth Ecclesiastical Council of Malkionism
> (Leplain, 1427) when the Loskalmi bishops, bribed with Mardron's Tanisoran gold
> and shortsightedly hoping to discomfit the "rightful" lords-in-exile of Seshnela
> (now resident on the Castle Coast), voted to number Rokar as Third among the
> Prophets. This Council is now known as the "Blasphemy of Leplain" to all
> virtuous Hrestoli Idealists, who proclaim that the sickening depths of
> self-interest to which the Bad Old Church could stoop proves, by contrast, the
> superior virtue of their own New Hrestoli Idealist way.

This was freshly after the Seshnegi Rokari schism. Did Bailifes' Rokarisation of his subjects also affect Malkioni outside his reach (remnants in Slontos, or those parts of Safelster which weren't Stygian any more after Paslac's death at Jrusteli hands), or did Rokarism in the early 1400s end at Bailifes' borders (including southern Safelster: Tiskos, Dangk)?

BTW, have the Castle Coast Hrestoli contacted other isolated Hrestoli enclaves after 1581 (the Opening), or did the Nolos/Pasos Rokari harvest all?

> All Malkioni know that there is a gap between Ideal and Reality: this is why the
> Invisible God in times past sent Prophets to heal the world. Any such "gaps" now
> developing in Loskalmi society will be adequately covered by the Hrestoli Sect
> writeup, I assure you.

No, what I wanted to know is whether you have material/ideas about Loskalmi Hrestolism before the Ban. Which may have survived in Jonating or Janubian churches...

> In re: Malkonwal, my own assumption is that the Holy City must have been
> somewhere in Seshnela, and must have vanished before the Dawn (possibly it was
> swept up in the Rapture of Malkion's "I Fought, We Won"?).

Maybe it has become one of the Fading Lands/Castles mentioned in Elder Secrets? That would make Mike Dawson's assumption compatible to Nick's.

> Greg's draft novel of
> "Arkat's Saga" has a city of Malkonwal on Brithos, but I'd hesitate to identify
> the two, as the Prophet Malkion's exile from Brithos is one of the cornerstones
> of my own personal Malkioni faith.

Doesn't "Malkonwal" simply mean "the city founded/inhabited by Malkion"? In this case, true multiples of this city could have existed in different times and places, like Zoria (currently northern Fronela). One in Seshnela, maybe one close to the God Forgot Brithini settlement as well.

> Richard's act, in so naming his kingdom,
> would be like William Blake's "Jerusalem, in England's green and pleasant land":
> a pious statement of his intent to recreate the perfect Malkioni society on
> fresh soil. Think of Augustine's "City of God".

I had the idea that some ambitious counsellor of Sir Richard produced evidence that the lost city had to be found around Richard's newly won kingdom. "Produced" in the sense that he reinterpreted real sources a bit like von Daeniken, maybe. Or like the Zoria theme, above.

Had Richard been a philosopher king, I would subscribe to that Augustine parallel, but Richard's ideal state would rather resemble Arthur's Camelot as described by Mallory than a city of spiritual perfection.

> (Oh, the "Brief History of Malkionism" will be in Tales #13 also. I hope the art
> is as good as the French "La Toile" pieces we had last time).

Related to the version in the Uni of Sog City Council Guidebook?

Sorry 'bout rule 1...
- --
- -- Joerg Baumgartner joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de