Order of the Knights of Malkonwal

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:05:14 1997

Mike Dawson here.

> I had some old references to Malkonwal, I forget where. I asked Greg
> if the original city was still around, and he said yes.

> Thus, the Malkonwal Arlaten comes from was the orignal Holy City, not
> Richard's New Malkonwal or whatever.

Thanks for the clarification.

> If you look at the maps of Ralios, Seshnela and Maniria in
> Genertela:Cruicble of Names Too Long to Quote, you'll see there is a
> section of coastline east of the sunken peninsula and west of the
> Fens that does not appear on any of the maps. I think that's where
> Malkonwal is. Greg said it was somewhere around there.

I doubt it would be freely accessible, though - else an extremely flowering market for merchants who wring the last guilder out of pilgrims would exist.

Nick's mention of a Malkonwal on Old Brithos made me think of the possibility of multiple true cities of Malkonwal (see previous post), which might be as inaccessible as the City of Wonders after 1617, or like Castle Blue.

Or does the (secret?) Order of the Knights of Malkonwal prevent any non-members from entering their sacrosanct centre?

> I designed the Order of the Knights of Malkonwal to be an ancient
> order, not some new thing created by Richard.

What are they? A variant of the Knights Templar/Assassin theme? Do they have agents among the other Malkioni? Do they claim to follow the original Malkioni faith?

> By the way, it wasn't that Corflu was the NEXT port--it was the first
> port that didn't have potential no-neck Knights of Malkonwal hanging
> about in town.

Hmm. Corflu would be about the last port I'd visit with my ship if I were a captain, unless I have very good contacts in the Lunar Empire. Even then I'd stop at Karse, rather, or at Refuge.

BTW: Has anybody played in Refuge of 1620/21 (after the Lunar conquest)? Did you adapt Chaosium's Thieves World?

Does anybody have the address of Guillaume Fournier, a gentleman from France who wrote an adaption of Sanctuary for Refuge in either "Tatou" or "Broos", titled "La Cite Derobee"?

I'd like to use that article either in translation or as a basis for yet a more voluminous article in either Free INT or Tradetalk. Opinions on the contents also appreciated (e.g. the founding myth involving Eurmal and Barntar), in personal e-mail if talking about an unavailable source offends.

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #160