Rokarism

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 19 Feb 95 14:32:11 EST

Joerg asked:

> [The Sixth Council] was freshly after the Seshnegi Rokari schism. Did
> Bailifes' Rokarisation of his subjects also affect Malkioni outside his
> reach (remnants in Slontos, or those parts of Safelster which weren't
> Stygian any more after Paslac's death at Jrusteli hands), or did
> Rokarism in the early 1400s end at Bailifes' borders (including
> southern Safelster: Tiskos, Dangk)?

Saint Rokar was martyred in the mid fourteenth century; Bailifes became king in the early fifteenth. In the three generations between, I have no idea how far or how fast Rokarism spread: use whatever suits your own campaign. It's important to remember that the "Rokari heresy" was popular before it became the established Church of Seshnela (after 2nd Asgolan): Bailifes didn't invent it.

I'm also unsure how much work needed to be done to "Rokarise" Seshnela. Bailifes may have been jumping on a bandwagon (siding with a powerful local church-in-waiting) rather than fervently proselytising an unknown heresy. David Hall would be the man to ask if you're concerned by this, but the question never arose while we were writing How the West was One.

I find it quite plausible that separately-evolved local sect/heresies of Malkionism may now be lumped together under the "Rokari" umbrella by late Third Age commentators. For example, "Rokari" sects in Pamaltela may be similar to rather than derived from the Seshnegi Church. As the Invisible God moves in mysterious ways His wonders to perform, such similarities need hardly be coincidence...

> I wanted to know whether you have material/ideas about Loskalmi
> Hrestolism before the Ban. Which may have survived in Jonating or
> Janubian churches...

I'll post our "Syanoran Church" here next time round. The modern Hrestoli description of the Church of Loskalm from the "Bad Old Days" is like all the worst excesses of the mediaeval Church rolled into one. Hereditary secularised bishoprics, gluttonous bibulous monastics, pitiless priests enforcing their own temporal rights without respect for peasants, etc. Expand on this as required for your game.

Nick

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #161