Re: Glorantha Digest V1 #159

From: Paul Reilly <paul_at_phyast.pitt.edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 1995 18:28:05 +0500

Paul Reilly here responding to Peter Metcalfe's questions embedded in Nick's post:
> Any idea how or where the Invisible God was discovered? Was he
> uncovered in a philosophical proof (a la 'I can concieve of a god
> perfect in every way including existance, ergo he exists')? Was he
> discovered in a Temple to the Unknown God like St Paul uncovered in
> Ephesus? Where would this Temple be? ...

  I support the idea of a logical, 'scientific' proof: after all the Brithini were the heirs to the Kingdom of Logic and the "Western Humanists" are described as basically materialistic, logical, and empirical in outlook (see Cults of Terror essay).

  I think that Malkion's reasoning was based on the (quite apparent) Law of Inverse Correlation of Power and Freedom that seems to hold in Glorantha. Just as physicists predicted the existence of the as-yet-unknown Omega-- particle from a pattern in particle physics, so Malkion realized the existence of the Invisible God as the capstone of the "great chain of being" for Glorantha. Total power, zero freedom. Also, by the general rule of the older beings being stronger (devolution) and more general in their scope (e.g. Aether-Lodril-Oakfed), this being is the Oldest and the God of Everything, hence Creator. It's all obvious once you think of it. Perfect Logic dictates the existence of the Creator.

  I wrote a LONG letter to Greg about this... no real reply as yet.