Malkioni Musings

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 16:25:38 +1300

Paul Reilly:

I had asked:

>> Any idea how or where the Invisible God was discovered? Was he
>> uncovered in a philosophical proof (a la 'I can concieve of a god
>> perfect in every way including existance, ergo he exists')? Was he
>> discovered in a Temple to the Unknown God like St Paul uncovered in
>> Ephesus? Where would this Temple be? ...

To which Paul responded:

> I support the idea of a logical, 'scientific' proof: after all the
>Brithini were the heirs to the Kingdom of Logic and the "Western Humanists"
>are described as basically materialistic, logical, and empirical in
>outlook (see Cults of Terror essay).

The thesis that the God Learners may have used logical proof to prove that the Invisible God was the same as the Creator is plausible. I was worried if Nick was thinking that the God Learners might have done one of their more corrupt tricks and made a spirit, saying 'hey, we could make a creator dude from this...'.

> I think that Malkion's reasoning was based on the (quite apparent)
>Law of Inverse Correlation of Power and Freedom that seems to hold in
>Glorantha.

Before the Cosmic Compromise? I think Malkion worked on the Prime Cause Principle ('Every act which we observe can be traced back to One Cause: I name this cause the Prime Mover...') and based the Law on this Principle. How he derived the Law (ie was it given to him in one great relevation?, did he use logic?, was it one relevation and the work of logic or many relevations?) is something I think he left unsaid (to avoid people deconstructing the Law and thus weakening its force).

>... so Malkion realized the
>existence of the Invisible God as the capstone of the "great chain of being"
>for Glorantha. Total power, zero freedom.

For starters the elemental powers (ie Subere, Dehore, Himile) that Malkion observed weren't actually thought of, IMO, being of the same substance as the (False) Gods. Secondly, I would not repeat such speculations like 'the Invisible God is Total Power with Zero Freedom' within a thousand leagues of an inquisitor of the Iron Rod of Rokar. The Brithini may agree with the deist sentiments but I think Malkion was exiled by his sons for proclaiming otherwise.