Chaotic 'Enlightenment'.

From: Mike Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 95 12:05:18 GMT

"Aden Steinke" <Aden_Steinke_at_uow.edu.au> annotanted my idea of the tainting effects of Chaos Lore thusly:

> Nifty idea, everyone should consider this, bring chaos out of order :).
>

>>If the roll succeeds 1d3 of the character's POW becomes 'tainted' by
>>Chaos. On a special the loss is 2d3 and on a critical 1d3+3. Again this
>>result should be kept secret from the character.
>

>This strikes at the heart of actually plaing in 'character' the player
would
>have to be told he is slipping in the fixedness of his viewpoints - a
>Stormbull with 90% tainted Pow would probably be very different in attitude
>to the run of the mill Stormbull..... so the player must know.

I wanted the player not to know precisely how close he is getting to the edge. (Something the character would not know.) The referee would (of course) give him hints at every likely occasion. ("The cries of the mink broo seem strangely fascinating and attractive to you" "Oh, no they don't!" (GM rolls dice and grins.) "Oh, yes they do.") And as he starts blowing resistance rolls against Chaos he'll get even more suspicious.

>>'Tainted' POW reduces the chance of a character resisting spells and
>>other special effects of a Chaotic nature. He no longer believes so
>>strongly in the rightness of Law and the natural Order and his lack
>>of confidence affects his chances of resisting chaos. -5% from
>>Resistance rolls per point of 'taint'.
>
>Very bad - belief in order gives no bonus against chaos so why should there
>be a penalty.

Belief in order is the default condition of all normal life-forms. I'm proposing, I suppose, a kind of spiritual 'Demoralisation'.

>>When all the character's POW is tainted he falls into the control of
>>Chaos and becomes an NPC. He leaves his cult and seeks out the way of
>>Entropy. (And this can happen when a character's POW drops due to DI as
>>well as when he probes too deep into the Secrets Man Was Not Meant To
>>Know....)
>
>Why would you forcibly retire the character - Choas beings in Glorantha are
>free willed sentients - merely with a different ethical perspective -
>especially in the Lunar Empire. From a gaming standpoint forcible
>retirement where the player never even new he was becoming tainted is a bit
>brutal - the GM is just saying OK, youre dead now.... no detail provided,
>so saving >throw, nothing.

All right, good point. Then I'll change the proposal: the character has become chaotic. And will live as long as he can keep out of the hands of the Storm Bulls!

> Aden
> (whose character Bruce the Broo shall outlive all of you!!!)

(And the same applies to Bruce the Broo.)

Mike Cule