kids

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 95 11:24:00 PST

 David Dunham notes:
GOATS SMELL! Yup. They have a lovely odor - pungent & sharp - sort of metallic. Billy goats smell way more than nanny goats, which are almost tolerable. Billy goats are also renowned for their lovely temperaments. They have two basic responses to other living things - hump it or butt it. My farmer friends who keep goats only keep nannys for milk. Come spring they haul the nannys off to another farm to be bred. They kept a billy for a while, but they got fed up with his antics and gleefully shot him. Even baby goats are obnoxious; my friends look forward to baby goat slaughtering time! (And these people are generally animal lovers. They had to quit raising pigs because they got too emotional over them. Never happened with the goats, though.)

Goat milk tastes a bit like goats smell, but for the full effect you have to drink it warm. Unfortunately, once you get used to goat's milk, cow's milk tastes pretty darn dull. Goats also give more milk per pound of mama than do cows.

Unwanted Kids:

I'd always assumed that in Prax unwanted children were left in certain places at certain times, and the Unicorn tribe came to adopt them.

Lunar Empire - perhaps the state takes them into special orphanages. The able ones are raised as very loyal military or clerical Jannisaries, and the not-so-able ones are used in "experiments".

Orlanthi society - maybe unwanted children are given to Babeester or Maran Gor? (And then nobody asks what happens to them.)

Emporer's Kids:

So what happens to all the Red Emporer's kids? I've had the impression that His Rosiness has a rather large harem, and must therefore produce oodles of offspring, especially after living for hundreds of years. Do they get favored positions in the government? Can you swing a dead cat in Glamour without hitting a child of the Red Emporer?

Just wondering....

Pam