psychopomps and local spirits

From: Harald Smith (617) 724-9843 <"Harald>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 14:12:00 -0500 (EST)

  The question of psychopomps has been bandied about over the last few days   and I figured I'd add my 2 clacks, particularly on the issue of Peloria.

  Both Danfive Xaron and Jajagapa have been mentioned as possibilities. In   regards to the former, DX is described as 'Night Watchman' and 'Savage   Guardian' among other titles. He has associations with the dying moon,   which certainly connotes a connection with the underworld. His link to   Jeset the Ferryman also suggests an underworld connection. Is he the   guide of the soul, though? Hard to say from existing sources. He might   as likely be the guardian to the lunar underworld, protecting it from   incursions. Just because one travels to the underworld (like Orlanth)   does not mean that that one is a psychopomp. The question for the Lunar   deities (assuming they undertook a Lightbringer-style quest) might be 'Who   is the Guide?' For the Lightbringers it was Issaries who knew the paths.   For the Lunars, my guess is Jakaleel.

  As for Jajagapa, I think he is a psychopomp now, but not for all the   Empire. Based on some current work I'm doing, he might prove to be the   psychopomp for the cultures of Saird and Sylila, but is more of a hell   demon for the Dara Happans (i.e. someone Yelm can send you to if you've   been bad). I think there may be other different psychopomps for Carmania,   Rinliddi, or other non-Dara Happan areas. Though Yelm could certainly be   psychopomp for Dara Happa, I think of him as the judge of the dead--after   all, he still has a court to maintain, even if it's in hell.

  The Imtherian psychopomp is Lokarma, the Guide of the Lightbringers from   the Imtherian point-of-view. However, for all that she guides the dead,   the dead must still carry a clack with them or else the Ferryman won't   take them across the Styx. Once the dead have reached the Halls of   Justice, Yelem (not Daka Fal) judges the dead. If the dead have been   faithful to their gods, then their gods speak on their behalf as well.

  On a different note, David Dunham posted some excellent local Ralian   spirits. Along this line, I include several local spirits for an   Imtherian village called Moonpost. (This is taken from a longer piece   about the village itself, so it includes references to a number of the   local villagers and to the village environs which I have not included.)

  There are five local spirits, particular to Moonpost itself. This follows   a pattern common throughout most of Imther to honor small spirits with   special rituals and offerings, gaining favors and blessings in return.   Usually each spirit is associated with one season and is most honored in   that season, though the Keepers of Dire Secrets know all the rituals and   signs associated with the spirits.

  The Woman of the Long Reeds can be contacted either in the Long Reed Pond   or the Marshy Place. This spirit manifests as a green-skinned woman with   hair of long reeds. Her special time is Seaseason when her lairs are   greatest. She can offer special blessings of healing magic, but curses   those who do not honor her to drown or fall victim to disease (the spirit   has command of the Drown spell and the Cause Creeping Chills spell). Two   years ago she cursed the entire village because Hikara Earthwise, Argron   the Old's late wife, offered pig's blood instead of her own in the annual   ritual.

  The Seeker of Nectar is as much propitiated as honored. This spirit, who   is also called Father of Wasps, demands that each orchard have a fruit   tree set aside for his children and that no nest be destroyed. Those who   fail these demands are cursed with plagues of wasps. An occasional person   who wins the respect of the Seeker of Nectar can gain a special stinging   magic. The Father of Wasps is honored mostly in Fireseason.

  The Quick Rabbit is found most commonly in Quick Rabbit Run, but sometimes   in Two-pond Woods or Homeward Woods. This spirit is playful and his signs   must always be sought after. When present, Quick Rabbit appears as a   large white rabbit. His special time is Earthseason when he is also   hardest to find. For those who honor his requests (including offering   soul prayers for rabbits slain), he provides magic for good coordination.   Those who disrepect his requests are cursed with the Stumblefoot.

  The Ashen Lady is the spirit of Darkseason and manifests in the Resting   Ground, the Spirit Woods, or the White Ash Woods. When seen, she looks   like an old shrivelled lady with ashen face and skin and dead grey unkempt   hair. She must always be called upon during death rituals. Those who   tread her darkened paths can gain magics to extinguish fires or curse   their foes with weakness, barrenness, or age.

  The Moonpost was not the original fifth spirit, but has been honored as   such since the day King Rhynon raised it. As much as anything, it is the   collective spirit of the village and never manifests as anything but a red   night fog around the post itself. Villagers call it a spirit of luck for   when it is happy the village and villagers thrive, but when it is unhappy   the village and villagers decline. Those who honor it with extensive   worship, like Todron the Headman, can gain special magics of protection.

  BTW, Nick, I have enjoyed the Malkion postings, though I haven't had time   to review in any detail. (And I have also enjoyed Dennis Hoover's poems.)   Unfortunately, there is too much other stuff that's taking up my time.

  Harald