The case for the Invisible God; Babies; etc.

From: via RadioMail <David>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 14:12:44 -0800

Mike Cule complains

>For me, all this discussion about logical proofs of the existence of the
>Invisible God is irrelevant. You can't really build (as experience has shown
>on Earth) a logical proof of the Supreme Being. (And anyone who mentions
>Anselm's Ontological Proof at this moment will stay behind to clean the
>erasers)

Hmph, if it was good enough for Thomas Aquinas, it's good enough for me. I don't think it was until the Postivisists that it was proven that you _can't_ have a logical proof for God. I doubt the God Learners were Positivists (empiricists though they may have been), so surely they could have constructed any numer of valid logical proofs.

>I am sick of hearing people dismiss the bits
>of Glorantha they don't like, or that don't fit into their personal scheme of
>things as 'mere God-Learner constructs'.

I agree. Of course, the God Learners spread Tradetalk and the cult of Issaries, and both are still true.

Guy Hoyle said
>I think that some cultures on Glorantha must expose unwanted
>children.

I agree, and in cultures where it's not done, mothers no doubt "accidentally" roll over onto their babies at night, and give preferential care and food to the ones they want to survive.

I'm told that my wife's grandfather, when he delivered babies, did nothing at all to the ones he thought looked "wrong," i.e. unlikely to survive. If they confounded him by in fact drawing breath, he'd present them to the mother. Otherwise, they weren't strong enough to live on their own, and probably wouldn't live long anyway. The bulk of babies passed his scrutiny, and he whacked their bottoms or whatever they believed in doing in those days.

A friend from rural West Virginia said his family didn't name a kid until they knew if it "barked or brayed." In other words, they waited a week or so to see if the baby survived before bestowing a name.

Neil Robinson wonders
>Do you think that Rice Mother would give her people
>a food that didn't fulfill all their dietary requirements?

I don't see why she would. I can't recall earthly grain goddesses doing anything of the sort. The Aztecs had really important maize deities but that didn't stop them from eating other foods.

I suspect Rice Mother does provide magic so the nutritious brown part of the rice can be left on (as I understand it, white rice stores better). In fact, all Grain Goddesses should have some sort of Storage Ritual which helps keep the grain from spoiling and free of pests.

M (ou Mlle?) Vallayer asked

>I am also looking for informations concerning the Kalikos Ice Breaker
>Quest.

Don't know much about the quest, but I do know Greg's written [unpublished] about a hero of the horse nomads named Kalikos who fought against the tribe's foes hidden in the ice (which may be trolls?). King of Sartar has a little detail on Kalikos as well.