Re: Undigesting the Digest

From: Henk Langeveld - Sun Nederland <Henk.Langeveld_at_Holland.Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 10:04:26 +0100

> From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
> Date: Tue, 21 Feb 95 21:24:29 GMT

Loren> 3. I noticed when comparing the old rq-daily-digest to the
Loren>  g.r.a.s.s. list that the content of digested lists was usually higher
Loren>  quality than direct-reflecting lists, and that it encouraged lurkers
Loren>  to participate fully.

Alex> I'd imagine this was an artefact of the different topics and communities,
Alex> rather than the mode of distribution. Any evidence to suggest Alex> differently?

Loren mentions the evidence: His experience with the GRASS list. Now, you can discuss his experience, which, knowing you, you surely will, but it won't change either Loren's or my perception.

What Loren mentions specifically in item 3. was a *design* feature of the Daily... It was an experiment, and a very succesful one, at least for me, which is the reason I never really changed the basic formula.

Also, my dear audience,

there's an item 5. which Loren could not include, because he's not as arrogant as I feel today :-)

5. Moderator's Privilige. Even with all the listservs,

   majordomos etc. maintaining a list still takes time.    Time which could be invested into other things.

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #170