Carmanians

From: Steven E Barnes <akuma_at_netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 01:46:40 -0800

Nick Brooke:

>> So if I understand correctly, the Carmanians and the Stygians do not
>> worship the Invisible God which was a God Learner 'discovery'. The
>> Carmanians substitute IndoVanus the 'Lord of Insight' (ie Sun) and
>> the Stygians substitute Subere in the place of the Invisible God?
>
>Not quite, but it'll do until I can work out *exactly* how this stuff hangs
>together. Modern Stygians have said that the Invisible God is, of course,
>impossible to see -- because he's hidden by Darkness! Carmanians are keen on
>"agency", seeing most other deities as either emenations or manifestations of
>the Creator, or else as acting in accordance with his instructions. But as well
>as the True Gods (who it's OK to worship) there are False Gods, who are damn'
>good liars (being servants of the Deceiver, the Father of Lies, the Devil). So
>we have the Magi who commune with the Creator Himself to determine what is Right
>for the Carmanian Church.

I'm interested in al things related to Carmania, as I am attempting to set a campaign there. The big blank spot is figuring out just what the Carmanian Heresy is all about. I like the idea that they still maintain vestiges of pre-Godlerner Malkionism, however, I'm getting a bit confused on the dualism issue.

Long ago, people advised "think Zorastorism". Later, I was informed that the Carmanians, unlike the Persians, do not revere the gods of Light, but seek a balance between Light and Dark.

On the otherhand the Stygian / Carmanian divergence has interesting parallels to real-world cultures...

I am also interested in any clues about what kind of magic the Carmanian Magi specialize in.