Oeucumenical

From: MOBTOTRM_at_vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 00:20:34 +1100

G'day all,

Catching up on a whole flurry of Glorantha Digests - what happens when you don'
t log on for a few days!

Oeucumenical

Martin asks if the 7 Malkioni Councils are likely, given that "only in the 20th century have we seen many ecumenical conferences in Christianity."

Actually, most of the great oecumenical church councils took place over a *thousand* years ago, starting with Nicaea in 325, followed by (dredges memory) councils in Chalcedon, Ephesus and Constantinople (a couple of times). Many of these councils were truly "ecumenical", with all manner of Christian flavours in attendance. And just like HotB, the rigorous religious debate oft bubbled over into undecorous hand-to-hand combat on the council floor. However, also like the 7th Malkioni Council, these were often sincere attempts to iron out doctrinal differences and unite the Church (or at least impose the will of the dominant faction on all the others). Hmmm, just like HtWwO, most of these Councils were abject failures in this regard.

I can enthusiastically steer you towards J.J. Norwich's Byzantine histories for brief but colourful accounts of the doings of these councils.

Cheers

MOB