Humakt requesting DI to save him/her from death

From: rstaats_at_mail.lmi.org
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 95 10:09:45 EST

     Greetings!

        I've been following the thread here, and for the record, let me
     cast my pebble in the ``it is OK to request DI to save yourself from
     imminent destruction'' vein.  You want your soldiers (AKA initiates)
     to have enough discipline to obey orders, but you do *not* want them
     attempting heroics!  Using an Earthly example, always dangerous  ;-),
     if you have soldiers attacking machine gun nests and not having enough
     common sense to retreat when confronted with a superior foe then you
     won't have a fighting capable force for very long.  (There are *times*
     when you *have* to have folks do such things, e.g. it is a feint to
     throw the enemy off from the main effort, but in general you do not
     toss the lives of your subordinates away against hopeless causes.)

        From Humakt's perspective, the initiate has the potential to
     destroy **many more** undead over the course of a lifetime than he
     will in his last few moments of glory.  This is along the same lines
     as the guidance in RQ III GoG that Stormbulls should not feel
     compelled to fight a Chaos menace alone when they are obviously
     outclassed.  There is some evidence that Humakt would tend to be more
     sophisticated than the Storm Bull.  :-)  So, if it is OK for a Storm
     Bull initiate to momentarily ignore a Chaos menace for the greater
     good than it certainly seems reasonable that a Humakt follower could
     do the same.

        Just my two clacks,  :-)

        In service,

        Rich