Goats!

From: Chris Johnson [RQ] <rq%flamal_at_icarus.ssd.loral.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 95 14:36:11 -0800

> David Dunham notes:
>GOATS SMELL!
>
>Yup. They have a lovely odor - pungent & sharp - sort of metallic. Billy
>goats smell way more than nanny goats, which are almost tolerable. Billy

I will have to take note with this! Having raised goats for 10 years. They do NOT smell, if anything our cows smelled more. I will give you that bucks smell in breeding season, but then if you've been around any deer during breeding season the bucks smell as well.

>goats are also renowned for their lovely temperaments. They have two
>basic responses to other living things - hump it or butt it. My farmer

In all my years raising them, I've never been butted or even attempted to be mounted! I've had shoelaces untied, ears cleaned, fingers nibbled and shirttails untucked.

>friends who keep goats only keep nannys for milk. Come spring they haul
>the nannys off to another farm to be bred. They kept a billy for a while,
>but they got fed up with his antics and gleefully shot him. Even baby
>goats are
>obnoxious; my friends look forward to baby goat slaughtering time!

The main faults goats have is independence, intelligence and curiosity. Lots of people find this distressing and thus dislike goats.

>(And these people are generally animal lovers. They had to quit raising
>pigs because they got too emotional over them. Never happened with the
>goats, though.)
>
>Goat milk tastes a bit like goats smell, but for the full effect you have

Milk taste is based on the diet of the animal being milked. If the goats have a balanced diet especially with enough mineral salts, I defy you to tell the difference between raw goats milk and raw cows milk by taste alone. You can allways tell the difference by letting the milk sit overnight and see which has a layer of cream, that is the cows milk. Goats milk is naturally homogenized so the cream dosen't seperate out without the help of a cream seperator. We could allways tell when the mineral salt was out when the milk started getting the 'goat' taste that every one objects to.

>to drink it warm. Unfortunately, once you get used to goat's milk, cow's
>milk tastes pretty darn dull. Goats also give more milk per pound of mama
>than do cows.

Yep, our 1500 lb milk cow (a milking shorthorn) gave us around 25-30 lbs a milking vs the 150 lb goats 7-10 lbs; 10X the body mass for 3X the milk.

Also to dispel the *other* myth about goats eating anything. Goats are one of the pickest eaters I've ever dealt with. They don't like to eat anyting that has fallen on the ground. This comes from goats being browsers not grazers. A goat will eat bushes before grass (especially rose bushes).

This will give rise to families that raise goats living the hills or on scrub land. Goat raising cultures will also lack the use of cream byproducts.

| Christopher Johnson           |   Regal Lager                 |
| Space Systems/LORAL           |     It's not just a beer...   |
| rq_at_flamal.ssd.loral.com       |        It's a palindrome!     |
| FAX: (415) 852-4201 |