Malkioni; Humakti DI

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 20:24:21 -0500

Re: More about Malkionism (y'all out there in lurkerland holler when you get tired of this):

Nick says:
>IMHO, the best way of sorting out the Malkioni from the infidels
>would be to get a whole bunch of bishops from various churches,
>sects and heresies together in one room and let them sort it out
>for themselves.

Anyone left alive obviously has the Invisible God's blessing. ;|

I'd like to hear more about the Holy Monk Notslor. Where (and what Malkioni tradition) is he from? What's so holy about him?

On Refining the Analogy: If Santeria and Voodoo dated from the Great Schism, they would be like Stygianism.

MOB adds:
>Many of these councils were truly "ecumenical", with all manner
>of Christian flavours in attendance.

    ^^^^^^^^^

     Hmm, yes...
     I guess it's the polytheists among the monotheistic Malkioni
that gives me the greatest pause. As Nick says, we are in danger when we view Glorantha from the outside and generalize. My contention is that the-folks-we-call-Malkioni call themselves Hrestoli, Arkati, Galvosti... The Stygians and henotheists could just as easily identify themselves with the pagans as with the Hrestoli. This term "Malkioni" smells like an outsider's handle.

     Think about the Arkati, for example. Their founder was mystically cut off from them, their churches were burned, and their empire was cast down by the religious predecessors of the Hrestoli and Rokari. "Oh sure, they *say* they've purged themselves of all God Learner taint... But we know they're corrupt because they say that Arkat fell!"

                            ---===---

MOB, I don't envy you your job. How do you criticize other people's children? Very carefully, I imagine.

BTW, thanks for the summary of the Council of Florence. The emperor convened it purely for political purposes but couldn't make most of his bishops attend, and the one bishop who did attend wouldn't sign the final communique'. I couldn't have come up with a better example of what I've been arguing.

                            ---===---

Re: The Divine Intervention Get-Away Tsimmis

Rich Staats suggests that not DI'ing away from Certain Death is like ordering your soldiers into attacking enemy machine gun nests. Before World War I, no one thought that way. It took things like 60,000 deaths in a single day to change the world's view of war. Even then, the change was neither immediate nor universal.

Greg Stafford talked in his Heroquest seminar at RQ Con I about how he offered each Humakti PC the opportunity to engage in a heroquest in which the PC was guaranteed to meet his god. None of the players took him up on it. Are your Humakti like the ones in his game, or are they *good* Humakti? I believe Greg's words were "Just being a Humakti is not enough to get to make you a hero. You've got to be a good Humakti. You know? You've got to kill things. You've got to be willing to die."