Logic, and The Reformed, Reformed, Even More Idealist Church of Hrestol

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 95 23:01:24 GMT

Mike Cule gives us the low-down, or at least the games mechanics, on:
> Reformed Hrestoli Church founded by Saint Juliana of Hovestal.

Where is this? Somewhere in Junora? Or thereabouts?

> She was the princess and sole heir when the
> Ban fell on the Kingdom.

This sect is sufficiently like the New Hrestoli Idealists (indeed, Mike describes its "improvements" over the same) that for it to arise independently of the NHI mob during the Ban would seem more than a little coincidental. I'd say the sect, or at least its more obvious such similarities, are better explained in terms of post-Thaw contact with Loskalm.

> For me, all this discussion about logical proofs of the existence of the
> Invisible God is irrelevant. You can't really build (as experience has shown
> on Earth) a logical proof of the Supreme Being. [...]
> You can (and people have) build logical systems based on the assumption of the
> existence of the Supreme Being (Thomas Aquinas being the supreme example of
> this) but you have to take the existence of God (and even some of his
> characteristics) for granted.

Nope, said St. Tom had a veritable hatful of such proofs. (I can even recall one off the top of my head, the "define God to be the least upper bound of all the wonderful properities in the universe" one.) That they are all inadequate and/or wrong, by the standards of modern logic, isn't really the point. That he did so illustrates that part of a terran culture _did_ produce such a proof, to its own satisfaction, and so it's hardly ludicrous to suggest that some similar bunch of nutters could have done the same in Glorantha. To wit, the early, Kingdom of Logic Malkioni. They would probably say that their faith was faith in the correctness of their logic, lacking any _manifest_ evidence of their God. Latter-day Malkioni would tend to disagree, and side with Mike and say that Proof Denies Faith, etc (insert Hitch-  joke here), and might indeed bring up the question of a Real Wood Fire.

Alex.

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #176