Notslor

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 24 Feb 95 03:46:46 EST

Martin wrote:

> Council of Florence. The emperor convened it purely for political
> purposes but couldn't make most of his bishops attend, and the one
> bishop who did attend wouldn't sign the final communique'. I couldn't
> have come up with a better example of what I've been arguing.

Duh... I've never claimed the Seventh Council (or indeed any of the others) was held for pious, apolitical reasons. Most folk there had as many Political and Personal objectives as they did Theological.

> I'd like to hear more about the Holy Monk Notslor. Where (and
> what Malkioni tradition) is he from? What's so holy about him?

He's a wonder-working monk from Jonatela, who looks and acts something like Rasputin. He's from the Syanoran Church, but is uniquely detached from the sectarian politics of contemporary Malkionism. Here's the bulk of his character sheet (which was written by David Hall):

NOTSLOR'S BACKGROUND You are Notslor, a holy man of the Malkioni religion.

You had a vision. A vision in which Malkion spoke to you and showed you the future. In this vision you saw what the consequences of a divided Malkioni religion would be: armies of black soldiers scourging the land, burning cities, women and children spitted on stakes, pagan worship forced at the point of a sword, and a horde of Krjalki demons attacking from both the north and the south. All of this you saw was overseen by a hideous and demonic creature atop an otherworldly steed, surrounded by purple soldiers with horrible masks instead of faces.

This vision has spurred you to call this Ecclesiastical Council in Sog City, the Seventh of its kind (and the first since the Syndics Ban was broken). If Malkionism can be one then your vision will not take place. If all the petty differences between the sects can be squared then nothing can stop the true Faith from spreading across the world: bringing a time of peace and plenty to all!

You were originally born in Jonatela and into the Syanoran sect of Malkionism. You joined your order of monks at the age of twelve and spent most of your years in peaceful meditation behind the walls of the abbey of your order. The ending of the Syndics Ban nine years ago brought many changes to your life. Your abbey was destroyed in the first skirmishes between Congern, your king, and the rebellious Count of Timms. You saw first hand the horrors of war.

Without a home you began to wander the newly opened the lands and discover what lay within them. In your wandering you accomplished many saintly deeds:

Your purpose at the council is to heal each of the rifts between the sects. The first stage is to make sure that the second vote on castes is unanimous - or at least a majority. The most important sects to square are the Rokari and the Malkioni (they hold the majority of the votes). The task may seem impossible but you have shown that nothing is actually impossible!

You also wish to develop the idea of the United Malkioni military mission. Portin Dunbar, the Hereditary Conciliator of the Council, has suggested the formation of a United Malkioni mission to protect Sog City (and other areas such as Zoria, Tastolar and Riverjoin) from the Kingdom of War. It would be a force used only for deterrence and defence.

At the grand feast last night the Queen of the Kiss gave a very moving speech about how defenceless her fair city is in the face of the brutal warriors of the Kingdom of War. Encouragingly Ethilian, Ecclesiarch of Frowal (the Castle Coasters) pledged 500 of his best knights. You are sure that with a bit of pressure from you more pledges will flood in.

Lastly, you are not well. Your days are numbered: you can feel it in your old bones (see below). The one thing you do want to make sure of is that your poor old carcass is kept intact after your death. In the past the bodies of Saints and Holy Men have been pillaged for relics. You really would prefer to rest in peace - one piece.

THEOLOGICAL OBJECTIVES

  1. Bring the branches of Malkioni church together. Heal the rifts that have grown up within it. There is room for a broad church encompassing all reasonable beliefs.

POLITICAL OBJECTIVES

  1. Try and set in motion the healing of the church before you die. You have so little time left - use it wisely.
  2. Publicise the United Malkioni Mission and, by hook or by crook, get real pledges of knights to protect either Sog City or Zoria from the Kingdom of War.
  3. Find those who support you in each sect and bring them together. These can be your disciples who will inherit your mission in life.
  4. Make sure that when you die your remains are kept intact. You hold no truck with this foolish belief in saintly relics. At least they can leave you to rest in peace.

WHO YOU KNOW Abdelcar. Vadeli Observer. Surprisingly he was also the captain of the Vadeli ship that carried you and Portin from Notchet to Sog City. Its a small world.

Congern. King of Jonatela. Your liege lord. You saved his sons life last year (he suffers from a rare blood disorder). Now you understand that he wishes to convert to a new religion. Your preachings to him must have been successful! He must have at last seen that Malkionism only has a future as a unified and broad religion.

Ethilian ai Demibras. Ecclesiarch of Frowal and Old Seshnela. This man leads the clerics of the region of the Castle Coast. Many of the titles that his bishops claim are disputed by the Rokari Church, and each sect hates the other. You must try to heal their rifts.

Gaiseron the Mystic. Ecclesiarch of the New Hrestoli Idealist Church. A crucial ally if your ambitions for a broad church are to be fulfilled. He leads the second largest contingent of Cardinals.

Gwydion of Sklar. Aeolian Archbishop. Gwydion is a representative of one of the many minor sects at the Council.

Portin Dunbar. Hereditary Conciliator of the Ecclesiastical Council. As soon as you had announced the council you had to find a descendant of the last Conciliator. This proved impossible until you had a vision which told you to go to Nochet City. It was outside of this city that you chanced to see a man in the river half-drowned. You pulled him out and it was then that you just knew he was a Dunbar. When he regained consciousness you told him you had been searching for him and that you wished to take him to Sog City. He never hesitated to follow you, and you never asked him how he had got into the river.

        You see Portin as your first disciple - ever since you took it upon yourself to educate him on Malkionism during the sea trip to Sog City from Nochet. He took to it like a duck to water - you sensed that before this his life had been empty and purposeless. It is important that he knows the gravity of his task. His guidance is crucial in setting the boundaries and direction of the councils debates. He must choose a neutral central course with as little controversy as possible.

Theoblanc the Pious. Ecclesiarch of Rokarism. When you met him you detected great wisdom and a willingness to compromise. This will be needed if the views of the Rokari and Hrestoli churches are to be reconciled. He leads the largest group of Bishops.

Zalpthir the Worldly. Archbishop of the Syanoran Church. Zalpthir is theoretically your spiritual leader since you are officially part of the Syanoran Church. However, you are sure he will not try and impose his authority on you. Your holiness is well proven, his is not.

RELIGIOUS ATTITUDES You believe in a broad church of Malkion, however there are some things that even you cannot accept:

The Borists
This is a secret religious movement that refuses to divulge its true beliefs or motives. You are sure it is in fact an organisation inspired by pagan demons and Krjalki. Boristi must be hunted down and killed to stop their cancer spreading across the faith.

Icons and Relics
The peoples fascination with relics and icons is foolish. The creators divinity cannot be depicted or shown in a mere earthly object crafted by craftsmen themselves open to the sins of the flesh. There is even an unholy trade in the bones of the saints! The people must learn to feel the Creators divinity within themselves by their own deeds and peace of mind, not by using some imaginary crutch which substitutes for their own inner peace, and blocks their path to it.

OTHER ATTITUDES You are open minded about most subjects.

RUMOURS

  1. A Street Judge confided in you that he believed that Sog University has its eyes on your bones for its Red Garter Chapel.
  2. An advisor says that the Vadeli are in league with the Borists and seek to subvert the council.
  3. An academic at Sog University says that the Councils that have failed always neglected to invite along either the Vadeli, the Waertagi, or the Zorians. He could offer no reason for this.

Nick