Invisible God

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 24 Feb 95 04:35:27 EST

Joerg:

> The history of the Councils mentions the Invisible God already for the
> Third Council (of 453 S.T.), which predates even the earliest God
> Learners. They said that his truth was supreme, and thereby possibly
> tried to counter the residual illumination spread by Gbaji 75 years
> earlier and still not totally eradicated.

The "History of the Councils" is a Third Age Malkioni document, written in 1625 ST, which apologises right at the start for the paucity of its source materials: "Unfortunately, many of the records dating from before the God Learner period were destroyed during the Empire's fall and therefore for this period greater reliance has had to be placed on secondary sources and interviews."

So your comments really won't hold water. Whatever the decisions of the Third Council may have been, we've only got the late Third Age account of them, *after* any persons or records involved had come through the God Learning process. And take it from me, Joerg: I knew the real reason they're called "God Learners" when we were producing that booklet.

> It also facilitates Jonat's somewhat polytheistic beliefs, and the
> facts of the Serpent Kings in Seshnela.

And the general prevalence of polytheistic Malkionism everywhere outside the God Learner empire (in Stygia, Janubia, Syanor, Carmania, Aeolians, upland Ralios, etc. etc.).

> ... Bailifes' force-converting to newly spawned Rokarism ...

Forced conversions? Where did you get that from? Aren't you thinking of King Richard's lot in Heortland?

Sandy:

> Presumably the Lunar army, more harshly disciplined and composed of
> professional careerists (unlike the Orlanthi "summer soldiers"), simply
> orders its men into combat.

Nah: the great traditions of Classical battlefield oratory force me to disagree. Why should we lose the wonderful scenes of generals orating to their troops on the morning of battle? Agreed, you have a point. But as we know, Lunar officers are often politician/noble types who love the sound of their own voices, and assume nothing could inspire the men more than the chance to hear a few uplifting and noble sentiments.

> Hmm. Perhaps I'm getting it mixed up with the Blue Moon which also rose
> once (visibly) in the Godtime.

I've always assumed that the first Moon of Glorantha was White, and that the Blue and Red Moons are her sundered halves. But this is a gut feeling with little support in the sources. (Q: Is the Blue Moon Plateau made of blue or white rock?)

Nick