Childbirth

From: JARDINE_at_RMCS.CRANFIELD.AC.UK
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 95 10:25 BST

Alex

        You assume that modern techniques have made childbirth easier. Actually all I have seen is that until VERY recently all they did was make it easier and more convenient for the Doctors NOT the mother! Lets face it lying on your back with your birth canal tilted UPWARDS is not all that likely to make birthing any easier! I mean you have to push the baby out uphill with muscles you have never/rarely used before. Primitive women had a much smarter method, allow gravity to help, only now have women forced doctors to take account of their wishes and allow them to get on with the job as nature intended.

Actually it is not the pushing that causes the problem when giving birth uphill as the baby only weights 0.25 Kg. The real problem is that between pushes the baby slides back in again (ERROR-- Reciprical Error the baby's mass is 3 to 4 Kg, my trouble is I think in pounds and RQ is metric).

So Alex I would hope that childbirth is at least as easy in G as the RW. But I would agree that western surgery does make it safer. While my personal belie is that western medicine is very limitted one area which it excells at is chopping people up and sewing them together. This must be a legacy of all the wars and car crashes we have...

Cheers

        Lewis