Lunar phalanxes

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:05:16 1997

or rather Pelorian ones:

Alex Ferguson dares to disagree with his Sandyhood:

>> No, I think the entire Lunar army is probably not much bigger >> than what is shown in the DRAGON PASS game.

> I'm not sure about this. Isn't the empire supposed to be fighting
> a war on about three fronts at this point?

The Charg mystery might well bind the forces of a good part of the Heartland Corps, which IMO is the origin and home of the Lunar phalanges, except the especially favoured Imperial Bodyguard.

> It may be that Sartar is the main event at this point, though,
> which other borders being held by provincial and allied semi-regulars,
> plus some of the specials which seem to be absent from SP. Wot,
> no demoness-eater-of-horses types?

Still engaged in First Blessed and Oraya, I suppose, against the Storm worshipping Pentians.

> But is this really all the phalanges that the empire can muster?
> I'd have though there would be about a couple of dozen of this type
> of unit, though of doubtless highly variable quality.

DHBE states that the hoplites were an invention of Daxdarius cooperating with a nation of smiths (Third Eye Blue). Daxdarius was the founder of Pelanda, previously called Wendaria, and later known as Carmania.

Quite likely the Sultanates/Satrapies of Doblian and Oronin still have phalanges of hoplites in their employ, with the Doblian ones well trained agains the Brolians and Anadiki.

BTW, is the Fortunate Succession more complete than the Dara Happan Book of Emperors distributed at Convulsions? The Unity List frex has only short notes under the entries from YarGan to Verendekelm, and the Long Elmexdros Roll is identical to the short one in DHBE.