Congern of Jonatela

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 26 Feb 95 04:49:24 EST

Here's yet another "How the West was One" spin-off: the recent history of Jonatela, presented from the character sheet of King Congern himself. As with Cardinal Minadoras, I've recast it into the first person to make the subjective nature of his opinions more obvious. This is not a post-game write-up.

The King of Jonatela was one of my favourite characters to watch in both versions of the freeform (Ken Rolston and Brandon Brylawski playing him beautifully). It'd be remiss of me to ignore the contributions made by Mike Dawson, both to the political situation within Jonatela and to the doctrines of the Syanoran Church posted here recently.

For those who are interested, the character sheet also gave (in summary) the following summary of the King's beliefs:

> Religious Affiliation: none, yet
> Political Affiliation: self

It's probably best to think of this as some kind of internal soliloquy or meditation, rather than a documentary memoir, description or confession. Congern is not an open or a trusting man...

        I am Congern, King of Jonatela. My realm is the greatest Kingdom in the land of Fronela, stretching from the rugged Nidan Mountains in the south to the banks of the beautiful blue Janube in the North. It was founded over five centuries ago by Jonat, that mighty-thewed hero who overthrew the last Empire of Loskalm and plundered distant Seshnela before returning home to bring his people the power and the glory of dominion. I am a Jonating: the blood of Jonat flows in my veins! I have striven always to prove myself worthy of my puissant forebears.

        Over a century ago, the Wizards of Loskalm, alarmed at my grandfather's inexorable victories, cast a great Enchantment known as the Sundering over the whole of Fronela. This created impenetrable borders separating the different parts of my land from one another. In consequence, I was born into an isolated half-Kingdom, and grew up in a court where my father had constantly to struggle to hold together his rule. Until a dozen years ago, I was completing his lifetime's work, striving to bring all the Boyars of western Jonatela under my direct control. Then the magical barriers to the eastern half of the Kingdom were lifted, and my armies could surge through.

        Victory was not immediate. For over a year, an eastern Boyar named Jarngror the Killer led a faction of highland nobles opposed to me. In the end, however, he recognised that he could not hold out forever against my superior forces. Laying down his arms, he swore blood-brotherhood and joined my side as my Royal Champion, handing over those of his former allies who still resisted to my justice. To this fortunate alliance I owe my supremacy over the east of Jonatela, a highland area where many of the locals still follow crude pagan ways.

        No sooner had these gains been consolidated, but the misty walls to west and north disappeared. Northwards, the last remaining lands of my grandfather's kingdom, Karstall and Timms, lay open for the taking. So too did fresh fields for conquest in the petty western lands of Junora and Oranor, with rich, decadent Loskalm beyond them. The Game of Kings beckoned...

        For the past eight years, I have patiently moved my Knights and Pawns, taking strategic Castles from Timms, while subtly advancing my strength against Karstall en passant. In the summer of 1624, my dispositions were at last right: my army swept down and reclaimed Karstall as part of the Jonating Kingdom. The rebel Count, Belathgert, was driven ignominiously into exile, and a sizeable garrison of Jonatelan Knights installed to maintain order and collect taxes in my new territory. Rebellions have been half-hearted, and my troops have brutally suppressed them when they have occurred. Karstall seems now to be firmly within my grasp, barring outside intervention.

        Set against these military successes in the Great Game, I have suffered at home from an unruly Queen and Bishop. Despite all my successes on the world stage, I have been unfortunate in my family life. My wife, Queen Undrika, is a pious shrew, devoted to the Syanoran Church and to its Archbishop Zalpthir, a mewling milksop of a man who oozes pious platitudes to further corrupt the thoughts of my Queen. I wonder: is he perhaps her lover?

        My Queen has borne me only two sons, both of them weaklings. The eldest, Bogdan, is a feeble-witted effeminate who takes after his mother in matters of religion: he would be a pawn of the Church if he ever came to the throne. My younger son, Dumi, suffered for all of his brief life from a malady of the blood, which left him incapable of developing his manly prowess. Neither was worthy of the proud Jonating blood I embody: the weakness must have been in Undrika's sickly line.

        Last year, a reputed Holy Man named Notslor returned to my Kingdom from his travels elsewhere in Fronela. Notslor was a dangerous fanatic, of course, who enthralled Queen Undrika with his burning eyes and hypnotic presence. And yet he had a remarkable, calming effect on my son Dumi; my courtiers seek to console me by saying he must have greatly eased the boy's passing from this world. But why couldn't he be cured? The fate of my poor son Dumi demonstrates that Notslor is not to be trusted. Was he perhaps in league with the Syanoran Church? Only their pawn Bogdan now lives... I have a bone to pick with Notslor, if I can only catch him...

        There is hope in sight, though. Valinessa, a pagan Princess of Oranor, is reputed to be fair and lovely. She is the daughter of the Prince of the White Mountains, one of the more powerful petty rulers of Oranor, whose lands control two strategic passes leading into Loskalm and Junora. If I were to ask for her hand in marriage, she would scarcely dare (or wish!) to refuse; my smooth-tongued negotiators are on the point of making a formal proposal on my behalf. My own chief Bishop, Zalpthir, however, has opposed me in my Privy Council over this: with an unusual display of spine, he says that his One God insists there is only One Marriage, and that I am already married to Queen Undrika. Other religions may not take such a strong line, though... there is, after all, more than One Church and One Bishop in this world!

        Some of my subjects follow the Syanoran, Hrestoli or Arrolian sects of Malkionism. Still others are Pagans. I rule all of them, as their King. Until recently, I have not greatly concerned myself with religious affairs, even though in theory I am a member of the Syanoran Church. Now there is an Ecclesiastical Council called by that same Holy Notslor, at which all the religions of the West will be on display and seeking new converts. I shall go to this Council and publicly "convert" to whatever religion will bring me the greatest advantage in my life-long ambition of re-establishing and extending the ancient Jonating Kingdom.

        As I scrutinise the many faiths on offer, I shall look primarily to the advantage that will accrue to me, as King, from whichever form of religion I eventually align myself with:

        I shall strive always to ensure that the Loskalmi Church does not gain any form of spiritual sovereignty over any of the lands of Syanor. This applies to my ancestral marchlands in Junora and Timms, and most especially to my own kingdom of Jonatela.

        It must be possible for me to marry Valinessa, Princess of Oranor, and so add her inherited lands to my demesne. This means that divorce, polygamy, or the remarriage of widowers must be part of the Creed of whichever Church I join. (In the latter case, it will be necessary for my wife to die. This is a shame, but needs must...)

        I am opposed to the ridiculous asceticism practised by some sects. If God (or the gods) didn't mean us to enjoy feasting, fighting and fornicating, why are they the three greatest joys in life? I am prepared to restrict my priests' indulgence in these pleasures (serves them right!), but neither I nor my Boyars would tolerate any limitations being placed on our own enjoyment of carnal delights.

        If all else fails, I could always renounce Malkionism and embrace the pagan ways of my forefathers. This would be popular with the eastern half of my kingdom, with Oranor, and perhaps with the Ralian tribes south of the mountains.

        I have at present no control over any of the Churches in my Kingdom. The Syanoran and Arrolian Bishops are chosen by their assembled priests and congregations, not by Royal decree. Henotheist and Pagan High Priests emerge from the rural clan and tribal structures. And Hrestoli Wizards have to be confirmed in office by the Ecclesiarch of Loskalm. Ideally, I would like to be able to appoint (or sack) a man I could rely on as Head of the Church, and have him choose senior clergy in the lower orders.

        My Church gives me no control over my Boyars. Those who are Syanoran Malkioni are more loyal to their Bishop than to their King; those who are Pagan are unruly, and could well be more loyal to their former leader Jarngror than to myself, if push came to shove. I would like to join a religion that required its followers to swear oaths of loyalty to their King, on pain of death, "excommunication", banishment from the congregation, or some such penalty. It would be contained within Jonatela as a national Church, not a branch of some larger organisation.

        Worst of all, I have no heir to whom I can entrust the realm (my weak son Bogdan would be wholly unacceptable as a successor). Jonatela has always been ruled by hereditary monarchs, descended from Jonat, and it would be a strange departure from this norm for me to appoint a successor. But none of my relatives are suitable. Ideally, I would like to be able to divorce or (whisper it!) murder my wife, and marry the Pagan Princess Valinessa, of Oranor's White Mountains. This way I would be able to beget a strong and manly son to whom I could bequeath my kingdom. As an alternative, I would like a Church which allowed me to appoint my own chosen successor. (Of course, if I could find a way to become Immortal, or able to Reincarnate, or Deified, or Sanctified, or in some other such way to obviate the need for a successor, that would be all to the good).

        And finally, I cannot be certain of Jarngror the Killer's loyalty to myself. He betrayed his own comrades in joining my side: this does not auger well for his constancy. I have heard rumours that he is conspiring with his fellow Eastern Boyars, and withholding parts of my Royal taxes for his own purposes. I dearly wish to learn that these allegations are false, but if they are true, I will need to send my own men to arrest my (former) Royal Champion...

Nick

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #181