Donalari of Timms

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 26 Feb 95 11:41:47 EST

More HtWwOabilia: this Happy Valley piece of Fronelan background is from the character sheet of the Bishop of Timms, who incidentally underwent a sex-change between the first and second versions of the game.

I was born into a prominent clerical family in the free and independent County of Timms, during a tranquil age of isolation, peace and prosperity. When I was a young child, my mother told me stories of the strange wonders that used to exist beyond the boundary-posts, in the mist-shrouded lands that surrounded the Count of Timms' domain: vast "Rivers," like the mill-stream but too wide to see across; lofty "Mountains," like the border-hills but so high their summits scraped snow from the clouds; swarming "Cities," filled with a hundred times as many buildings as the Count's market-town of Timms.

Since the miracle that had liberated Timms from its brutal invaders in my grandmother's day, however, nobody from Timms had ever left the placid county, while nothing from outside had ever crossed the borders. My childhood was untroubled by any great disturbances; it was only when I was tutored for the priesthood that I learned it had not always been so. The world was once a much wider place, and my mother's stories were no more than the truth.

I learned that Timms was founded by pioneering Janubian settlers, who sought safety away from the turbulent politics of the West early in the Third Age. In that time, marauding bands of people could roam wherever they wished, and small and peaceful states suffered whenever they could not resist. So, leaving behind their beloved river valley, which had become a highway for piratical brigands and barbaric raiders, they settled in the sheltered fields of Timms, in southern Syanor. They built schools and churches, ploughed their farmlands and lived in peaceful harmony, away from the cares of the world. To the north and west were the populous cities of the regions of Dona and Mortasor, the nearest being Eastpoint, Galastar, and Southbank. Beyond the southern highlands was the oppressive Kingdom of Jonatela, and in the east the pagan wilderlands of Charg. These were all strange lands whose people did not follow the directions of the Count of Timms.

The isolated location of Timms proved advantageous in the late fourteenth century, when waves of refugees from the eastern land of Peloria came flooding down the Janube. They sacked and burned the city of Eastpoint, installing their own pagan Moon Worship in place of the Holy Church. My own ancestors, the Bishops of Eastpoint, fled to Timms County at this point; despairing of reclaiming their own See, they became the Bishops of Timms. Under their benign spiritual guidance the county prospered more than ever. This new wealth attracted unwelcome attention, however, from the despotic land of Jonatela beyond the barren southern hills. And the open borders of Timms County could offer no resistance when the invaders marched in, a hundred and fifty years ago.

The occupation of my native land by Jonatela was brutal and repressive. They executed the ruling Count, and drove many members of wealthy families from their rightful estates. (The poor farmers suffered less, having less to lose). Yet after a generation of suffering, the prayers for deliverance of the pious clergy (my grandparents among them) were answered. A miraculous magical barrier formed around the borders of Timms County, preventing any Jonatelan forces from relieving the occupying garrisons; after a short and bloody uprising, liberty was restored. The land was ruled by the son of its last Count, who now emerged from hiding; he was advised by councils drawn from the town guilds and rustic nobility which had coordinated the rebellion.

The Miracle of Isolation that had liberated the county must have been uncommonly potent, as it remained in force for a whole century. During this time, the inhabitants enjoyed an idyllic life, free from the dangers of outside invasion, though in his wisdom, the Count ordered the construction of fortresses and castles on the borders of his realm, the first ever built in Timms, lest any intruders should appear in future.

This, then, was the little world into which I was born: a rustic, bucolic land in the fertile country of Syanor. I was raised and trained for the priesthood that I would inherit on my mother's demise. Although curious about the Wider World of my mother's tales, as were many of my generation, I never thought to see any of its marvels for myself. Yet the times were changing, even then...

At the age of twenty, as I undertook my final vigil, news came that the barriers to the western river-lands of Dona were lifted. Fear of what might be discovered turned to joy and rapture when the first peaceful contacts were established with Eastpoint. It transpired that all of the cities of the Arrolian Confederation had fallen separately into Isolation at the same time as Timms; over the next few years, they were gradually opened to the outside world.

As I would have expected, other countries had not benefited as much as Timms from their periods of introspection, perhaps because they had not known the cause of the Isolation. Most of the Janube city-states, having previously prospered from river-borne trade, had suffered deprivation when this dried up; not self-sufficient (unlike my well-provided land), some had fared far worse. Still, every region that was opened in turn revealed another and trade with the Western cities could begin again. This brought new prosperity to Timms, and the thoughts of its people turned again, to wonder what lay beyond the river in the hidden lands to the North.

It appeared that a will to discover strange new things was required to lift the Miraculous barriers. When this general desire grew strong enough, a dozen years ago, the pagan land of Mortasor was opened. The first scouting parties discovered ruined cities whose scrawny natives had forgotten where the cities came from. There were rich opportunities for trade, bringing beads and trinkets to the desperate inhabitants and offering them the solace and comfort of civilisation. I took part in several missions to ruined Galastar, and marvelled at the depths to which their culture had fallen.

Witnessing the way the civilisation of the north had collapsed while separated from the rest of Fronela, some of the more curious minds of Timms began to speculate as to how events would have passed in Jonatela in the south. Theoretical discussions were argued out among the clergy. I myself took the reasonable view that in their impoverished highlands, cut off from all forms of civilised life and goods, the "kingdom" would have collapsed as Galastar had, and would by now be ready for gentle shepherding towards a more prosperous and peaceful way of existence. My concepts caught the popular mood, and the idea of "liberating" Jonatela from its archaic and brutal way of life grew ever stronger. Three years after my first visit to Galastar, the barriers to the South were lifted, and calamity struck!

In its Isolation, the Kingdom had all but fallen apart. Only by an unusual exercise of despotic power had the King been able to retain control over his own Boyars. The Church had suffered greatly, as in Mortasor, and most chapels in the eastern half of the Kingdom (those nearest my own land) were now derelict ruins. However, this rampant despotism has addled the brains of the King of Jonatela, Congern, who has now used his brutal army to attack Timms and the neighbouring land of Karstall. He wrongly claims that both lands are his by right.

Luckily the castles and fortresses built by the Count have held the enemy armies at bay, though two key fortresses have fallen in recent years. Karstall has not been so fortunate. Last year it was invaded by Congern's army and the pious Count Belathgert (called the Holy Count for his piety) was forced to flee and go into hiding. His land was brutally sacked and occupied by Congerns pagan boyars.

My lord, Count Fraltigern, is fiercely independent, sly, and supremely suspicious. He sent me to attend this Seventh Ecclesiastical Council of Malkionism, not only in a spiritual capacity, but also as his political representative. I must act to save the County of Timms from the unholy actions of Congern. I shall strive to make alliances against Congern both within the Syanoran Church and outside it, amongst the other nations of the region. Unless Timms County remains free, what hope is there for the independent Church of Syanor?

Nick