On the heresy of dualism

From: Klaus Ole Kristiansen <klaus_at_diku.dk>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 09:50:29 +0100

ON THE HERESY OF DUALISM I am Sforozok, instructor in matters of the mind. Your task this and the next work period is to learn of the ways clay mostali malfunction. There are two kinds of malfunction: physical and mental. Physical malfunctions will be covered next work period by the instructor in clay mostali physiology. Repairing physical malfunctions is not a function of golds.

My task is to teach you on mental malfunctions. There are two kinds: those that affect mostali singly, and those that affect large units of mostali at once. I will cover the former later this work period. Repairing those is not a function of golds.

The latter are termed heresies. Repairing heresies may become your function.

A heresy is an erroneous conviction about the method of repair of the World Machine. For reasons that are not yet fully understood, most clay mostali are currently holding one or more such convictions. These are the most harmful of all mostali malfunctions. Heretical mostali do much good work, but ultimately they will hamper the repair, or even cause new harm to the World Machine.

The most common heresy is also the strangest. More mostali are afflicted by dualism than by all the other heresies combined.

Like many other systems of the World Machine, the plant life has its own regulatory subsystem. This system, called the aldryami, is very severely damaged. Rather than regulating plant life, the aldryami are making it grow in counterproductive ways and places. On several occasions, aldryami have even attacked clay mostali. A major effort to repair this regulatory system is needed. Only then will the plant system function properly.

This malfunction, particularly the attacks, have led a large number of mostali to regard the aldryami as evil. There is talk of the necessity of exterminating them. This view is then expanded to a conviction that the plant system itself is evil. A false dictomy is set up between "growing", regarded as evil, versus "making", regarded as good. "Growing" refers to plant life, or sometimes life as a whole. "Making" refers to the work of the mostali, or to the proper function of the World Machine.

If hard pressed, most dualists will admit that plant life is a necessary part of the World Machine. They usually admit that regulation of the plant system is required. If asked what system will perform this regulation in the absence of the aldryami, they usually become very vague. They invariably reject the idea that mostali regulate plants with great vehemence. Some name us apostate because we have mostali regulate the plants that provide our nourishment.

The dualists fail to see that this absurd situation is brought about by their own heresy. Due to dualism, the repair of the aldryami system is neglected. Due to the lack of functional aldryami, clay mostali must regulate plants.

Dualism is a most disruptive heresy. The repair of the aldryami system should be a project of the very highest priority. Currently no work is done, and the damage is getting steadily worse.

The reason dualism is so disruptive is that it is very widespread. The Nine claim that only the Mari complexes are unaffected. The Nine are themselves dualists, and this claim is used as an argument to make us conform. It is thus suspect. Yet it could be true. All complexes we have managed to contact directly are firmly dualistic.

It is a clear indication that the World Machine is very badly broken, that even The Nidan Nine, who's function is general coordination of repair and maintenance, are malfunctioning.