Maize Mother; Pelorian Goddesses

From: owner-glorantha_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 18:24:07 -0800

Alex says of Hon-Eel
>She probably also has special maize-fertilising magics, too. Monocultures
>tend to be rough on the soil, so it will need some help over and above
>Bless Crops

This assumes you grow maize as a monoculture; as I recall, many early Americans planted maize, squash, and beans together.

Pam Carlson wondered
>Who do Pelorian peasant women worship?
> Hon-Eel makes sense, but what about _before_ Hon-Eel?
>Whatever happened to Naveria, and the Five Mothers, and Jernotia, etc?
> GroY and Fortunate Succession rarely mention them, being _slightly_
>male-oriented. FS did name Dendara, Naveria, Oslira, and Ourania as the
>only females on the list of acceptable Dara Happan deities. (Prior to
>Yelmgatha).
> And what about Dara Happan women? Dendara is _Yelm's_ wife, so it doesn't
>make much sense that peasant women would worship her. Who was Lodril's
>wife? ( I vote for any local earth goddess. Ol' Stick Man never seemed
>very particular!)

One clue is probably in the "nurtured by" entries on FS.54: Lesilla, Avarnia, Thilla, Dendara, Oslira, Reladiva, and SurEnslib.

On FS.81: "Orania and Dendara were the goddesses of the upper class."

And of course there's "Popular Common Deities" on FS.81; goddesses here are Thilla, Everina, BiselEnslib, Naveria (Arira, Lesilla, Koveria), SurEnslib, and the Jernotians.

Or did you want to know _about_ these deities?

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #183