Dart competitions

From: Charlie Domino <cdomino_at_ICSI.Net>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 23:27:43 -0600 (CST)

Two quick points: my recollection of Duke Raus is that he was the victim of a Dart Competition in which his extended family (but not he or his immediate family) were invovled in. Imperial displeasure resulted in the Raus survivors being exiled. No mention is made as to whether or not there are/were any other Raus family survivors; perhaps they were placed in the Risklands? It's not suprising that Raus got shoved off to the boonies; remember he does NOT worship a Lunar deity, nor a Lunar associate, but instead Daka Fal (ie: his ancestors).

        The second point--"Dart" competitions are named for a supposedly inventive assassination involving a real game of darts, in which one went awry and struck a noble. Just coincidentally, it happened to be covered in poison. Just an "accident". I figure most of the Dart Competitions are like that; (sabotaging a carriage wheel, running into "bandits" while hunting, slow poisons in the food, suborning servants, boobytrapped presents, etc. Wonder what magical traps could be set? Steal the signet ring of a noble, replace it with a duplicate that's actually a matrix holding a disease spirit? Hm.)

Charlie