Malkioni logic and souls

From: Mike Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 1995 12:43:16 GMT

My thanks to Alex Fergusson (?sp) for his words on my words on Revelation vs Logic. I don't think we actually disagree on all that much. My thoughts on the status of the Revalation to St Juliana are that she actually went out into the GodTime and found some Truth that allowed her to form her own political/ religious system. What the Ultimate Truth of her beliefs are and how real they are with relation to the Invisible God/Creator is something that is totally unknowable. (I know what she believed but what proof is that?)

I didn't know about the original occupiers of the area I set her Kingdom in. (Alex, where did you get this from?) I assumed that there were trolls in the area, about half of whom had been converted to Even More Reformed Malkionism. But Uncoolings I didn't know of. Maybe I'll move it if I restart that game.

As to the relation of Logic to Revalation to Malkioni theology: bear in mind that Revalation is a rare and precious thing on Glorantha. (I'm saying nothing about what I believe is its status on Earth. Do you think I want a fatwah issued against me?) When the Prophet is dead and gone, the interpeters move in and Logic him to pieces. Thus it was, thus it ever shall be. (See Kipling's poem THE DISCIPLE.)

But without the spark of the Revalation, circles of Logic go on and on forever with nothing new to work on and nothing true to say. The Malkioni revere Logic so much that they sometimes forget its limits. But their religion is not based on Logic. It just uses it.

On the fate of Malkioni souls: I heard Greg speak on this at the first Convulsion and I got the impression that from the Point of View of the Divine magic using cultures, *all* Malkioni souls vanish from the cycles of the world not just the virtuous ones. On death their souls just seem to disappear. This seems to rule out the idea of sinful Malkioni being 'tied to the material plane' as someone mentioned. Does anyone know if the Malkioni believe in a Hell? Or do they just think that if you're not taken by the Invisible God you're destroyed?