Hipporiders (fwd)

From: Majordomo <major_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 11:28:41 -0500 (EST)

Forwarded message:
>From postmaster_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu Thu Mar 2 10:14:49 1995
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 17:15:14 +0200 (EET) From: VILLE JOHANNES KAIKKONEN <vkaikkon_at_phoenix.oulu.fi> To: owner-glorantha-digest_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu Subject: Hipporiders

Yes, it is a nice idea and why not in a fantasy world, but I just have to tell you about one nature document which dealt with hippopotami, even if it slightly spoiled your discussion on the matter. In that interesting (I like nature programs!) document they told that: 1. Hippos can not swim for long, istead they sometimes cross wide rivers or small lakes by simply walking on the lake/river bottom. 2. Hippos do not wander far (only a few hundred meters) from their home water and when they walk around on dry land they usually do it by night, because they can not bear the heat of the sun. Both of the above mentioned due to the _huge_ mass of hippos.

        Ville Kaikkonen