[none]

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 95 10:25:00 PST

Sandy on Gloranthan afterlives:

        What does all this boil down to? The bald fact that NO GLORANTHAN CULTURE has any evidence for an afterlife -- all the spirits vanish somewhere and are gone from all possible contact.

But Daka Fal can summon ancestor.
And those irrepressible solar deities seem to have installed a revolving door between hell and the surface world. For the Red Emperor, death seems to be a mere time-waster. Humans can be resurrected, even if it's uncommon. Dragonnewts have to die to evolve.

Seems to me that these all indicate that Gloranthan death is merely another state of existence, and often only temporary. Besides, the biggest advantage that Gloranthans would have over RW people in believing in an afterlife, is that Gloranthans can see proof of and the active participation of their deities in their daily lives. Most medieval humams did, too. It's just us modern, scientifically minded westerners who need proof of something to believe in it.

Yaks in Peloria -
 I vote for yaks as being the Pentan's cattle - or those cute lil' highland cattle from Scotland.
However, Pelorian cattle may be related.

Tom:

>We should think of the Germans and Teutonic people for dress, if it's cold
you don't wear toga.

Aww - how about a toga with fuzzy leg-warmers?:-) But for that matter, if it's cold in Peloria, how do they grow much rice?  Maybe now that Kalikos Icebreaker has improved the weather rice and togas are possible, but the pre-Kalikos culture might have had to live differently.
Maybe DH is/was warmer because they worship Lodril and Yelm? After all, Sartar is wet and cloudy.
Perhaps they grow rice in DH right along the Oslir, and other crops (maize?) farther away.

Hey, Sandy - does anywhere in Glorantha have those picturesque limestone karsts like they have in China?

Pam