Peloria stuff

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 95 23:24:57 GMT

A person whose identity was entirely concealed by the server, to protect the guilty, wrote:
> Alex says of Hon-Eel
> >She probably also has special maize-fertilising magics, too. Monocultures
> >tend to be rough on the soil, so it will need some help over and above
> >Bless Crops

> This assumes you grow maize as a monoculture;

I think they do; or if not as a strict monoculture, one in which maize is locally the overwhelmingly most important crop.

> as I recall, many early Americans planted maize, squash, and
> beans together.

Something like that, and/or crop rotation of some form, may of course be one of the Cult Secrets we were hypothesising. If you insist on it being a spell, what about one that summons an earth spirit to strike uninformed farmers firmly about the head and body, whilst intoning the sacred words, "Sow for some nitrogen-fixing plants, stoopid!".

In a Fine Post on the sub-useless aspects of Dara Happa, Pam Carlson observes that:
> the Yelmies value Nobless Oblige

This sounds like another one of Nick's Yelm Can't Get It Up jokes. Or perhaps I should say, an avatar of Nick's One True Yelm Can't Get It Up Mono-Joke.

David Gadbois opines:
> However, I do think that the Dara Happan's current stuffy attitude is
> partly a conservative backlash against Lunar liberalism

I think in many ways, the Dara Happans and the (DH) Lunars bring out the worst, or at least the most extreme, in each other. In most of Peloria, the Lunars are the responsible, sensible ruling types, with just a spot of Chaos Nobbly Bits. But in Dara Happa, the Yelmites are still, in many ways, the Natural Party of Government, and the Lunar cults will tend to attract (among others) the more outre' elements. If Sexual Prevertions get blinded, defenestrated, or buried alive, then the DH Lunars temples are going to end up with a lot of Preverts in them. (Yes, I have been watching Dr. Strangelove. Wanna make something of it?) While supposedly at least, there's religious unity, or at any rate pro forma crack-papering, there's obviously a great deal of social tension.

> They cluck about the ever-shortening hemlines of Lunar fashions

Oooo, yes! Can we make mini-togas (dirty old) Canon, at once?

Leggily,
Alex.