Birth - the fundamental heroquest

From: Mark C. Wallace <mcw_at_clark.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 19:30:31 -0500 (EST)

Suddenly this week, while striving to stay awake through another briefing on why reorganization of the department to eliminate teaching is a good idea for a college, I was struck by an epiphany. I failed my dodge roll, and was inflicted with the following bit of GodLearner nonsense.

Myths are the explantion for why things are they way they are. Heroquests are explanations for a resolution of a conflict between two myths.

I started to apply this epiphany to the scenario I'm now writing, and realized that it didn't work. What did work was another idea that was bandied about this list some time ago. Birth is a fundamental heroquest.

Why?

What are the essential elements of the birth heroquest?

I assume that the birth heroquest lasts from partuition to intitiation. Furthermore, that hte fundamental conflict is that of identity vs society.

I need however some fresh viewpoints to clarify my thinking. Is my epiphany the malign bestowal of a gift carrier, or the wisdom of Irripi Ontor?

What is Birth: the Heroquest? [Apart from a game not even White Wolf is tasteless enough to write]