Chalana Arroy & Arroins birth

From: Pinch Brian BD <brian.b.d.pinch_at_msmail.bhp.com.au>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 1995 21:57:36 +1100

Chalana Arroy & the birth of Arroin

This is a proposed Chalana Arroy sacred time story. Please let me know what you think. Constructive criticisms encouraged.

During the first day (1) of the sacred time, initiates and priestesses of Chalana Arroy are gathered around in a circle. All are silent. The temple healing spirits are also expectant,and are waiting, watching and listening. The high priestess nods to the oldest healer (2), or starts herself if she is the oldest, and so the story begins. The healer starts :

"I remember when I was first told this story, so many years ago. None may wonder at my being selected to tell this story for of us here I was born closest to the blessed event, the birth of saintly Arroin himself.

There was a time when peace reigned in the world and at such a time was the birth of Arroin. Such a one as he could not now be born into the world for neither of the nemesis (3) had then yet come into the world. The Celestial Court was still in its full splendour and all was well with the world. Lady Chalana was (4) a part of the Celestial Court and her presence added to its glory.

Upon one day, much in outwards appearance like many others, a soft song fell over the Celestial Court. At first it seemed like only voice, but slowly and surely, a second voice came into play, strengthening the songs' beauty and rythym.

The song had started softly, but its joy could not be contained and so it spread. Nor did it last only a short time. Being late in the workday when it started, many were fatigued at their labours, but upon hearing the song, their fatigue dissipated.

Ernalda, the earth mother, was one of many who heard the sweet song and she came to investigate. There in a chamber in the Celestial Court she found Lady Chalana and Arroin singing happily to each other, both still joined by the umbilical cord. Neither of them had suffered any of the pains of birth, but in their kindness and mercy they have shown us how to alleviate the suffering and pain that others find in birth."

(In the convenient pause the audience sings "Chalana and Arroin be praised" )

"Ernalda stayed there to enjoy the song. For it is said that no other song, before or since, has brought so much joy into the world or eased so many burdens."

(In the convenient pause the audience sings "Chalana and Arroin be praised"

"And for the next day and the next night there was found true peace and tranquillity in Glorantha. "

(In the convenient pause the audience sings "Chalana and Arroin be praised" )

"In this day may we again find peace and tranquillity in the world."

The oldest healer then sits down and then the entire temple congregation start singing

<Insert culturally appropriate peaceful song here >

(1) The first day is the "birth" of sacred time and appears to me the most
appropriate to tell birthing stories
(2) The honour of telling this story is usually given to the oldest member of
CA attending the temple or shrine, not necessarily the most ranking senior. This is because they were born closer to the event and perhaps symbolically in the hope of a rebirth of energies and of spirit in the healer.
(3) of death and disease
(4) naturally :-)

Brian.B.D.Pinch_at_msmail.bhp.com.au <SPACE RESERVED FOR RENT>

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #192