Yaks and Water Buffalo

From: J.S. Wright <jsw22_at_hermes.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 10:40:06 +0000 (GMT)

Here's a little story about yaks and water buffalo, It comes from China, or India or Central Asia someplace (very precise there :-)).

Yak and Water Buffalo were brothers, they were identicle. One day Yak decided that he would go up into the white mountains he could always see in the distance. So he went, but it was so cold that he couldn't get above the foot hills and had to run home or he'd freeze. He was still curious and talked always about the mountains. A little while later he decided to ask a favor of his brother.

"Certainly" said his brother
"Would you lone me your fur, so I could go look around up in the
mountains, I won't stay long. and I'll give it right back."

        Water Bufalo was a bit worried, but eventually gave his fur Yak. Yak went up into the mountains and liked it so much he never came back. Water Bufalo was left with no fur, and Yak twice as much as he'd had before.

        Also, Water Buffalo Trivia: You know that in hot climates it is good to shave your buffalo, other wise they overheat (?). Contrary to the story above they do have a bit of hair. I've only ever seen it done with a straight razor. Buffalo didn't fidget.

Josh