Tackymats, Alex, and other nuisances

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:05:17 1997

Alex in one of his many semi-specials (four out of six, not bad):

>> The "developmental limb" being proposed here is no more than >> a non-knowledge of the Invisible God before the Second Age.

> It was a bit of a hopelessly vague term, but what I meant was the
> "orthodox" beliefs of the first age. Or at least the majority consensus,
> or whatever actually existed. Those which Nick claims the God Learners
> "reformed" (as opposed those they just squished out of existence).
> I don't think this was anything like as polytheistic as the Jonatings,
> the Serpent Kings, or the Stygians, so a "pre-God Learner" explanation
> for such isn't really necessary, or sufficient. I'm sure they managed
> to think up their heresies all (or mostly all) by themselves.

>> Carmania was driven out of its
>> old territory in the Second Age, but it was a First Age organization.

> Or is it? This is what I was driving at. I'm personally not sure to
> what extent Carmanian beliefs arrived in Peloria full-formed, and to
> what extent they were developed and modified by local contingencies.
> Of course, this whole area is being Gregged and Nicked even as we
> speak, so I suspect that theorising on current evidence is semi-
> pointless.

>> These God Learner derived sects consist
>> of: the modern Rokari, the modern Hrestoli, the Castle Coasters, and
>> the Sedalpists.

> Are you sure about the Beermats? Wouldn't they claim to be earlier?

Mildly puzzled whom you're punning at, I think that the Castle Coasters have the real claim to maintain the oldest sect of the GL derived (i.e. orthodox) ones. As I, incarnating the one and only true Bishop of Neleoswal, Pandirius Heavyfeather, stated at the sub-committee of castes which even had a Rokari bishop (later even Ecclesiarch) show reason, there are four castes as installed by Malkion, and chivalry which is the true way to Sainthood, not a caste, but a spiritual advancement. As First Age history shows, this is the most original society derived from Hrestol's revelation.

[as an explanation about the above: David Hall Wakbothson squared me as Pandirius, bishop of Neleoswal, currently based at Ywent, and Alex as Guisido Capratis, bishop of Pasos, and by an unlawful extension of Pasos territory into Castle Coast area pretending to occupy the hereditary see of Neleoswal, and split the votes of this see betwixt Alex and me, to reenact our epic struggles from early '94 Daily disputes - having gained f(l)ame through Alex' mode of reading the Daily, and unreasonably refuting my most considerate views on initiation posted regularly about a week earlier. Thus even after I had shifted to private e-mail, Alex continued to post his heretical ideas which would have destroyed my work on the Aeolians, and I had to disagree publicly to avoid my work going to the wastebasket.]

<HtWW1 mode off>

> Though the Mandy Rice-Davis doctrine probably applies.

Huh?

[Test of Holiness proposal deleted]
> Rest of this discussion is hereby moved off line, where some of its
> silly aspects (Maxims of the Famous Games Designers) will be quietly
> ignored in any case, one hopes.

Or to the Rules Digest, where currently Runepower is disseminated again.

> Failing to pick up my gauntlet about his hidden agenda, Nick resorts to
> Mere Facts:

>> But I wouldn't have thought we'd need to significantly antedate the
>> Big One from the known God Learner dates: after all, there's quite a
>> gap between the years 675 (Return to Rightness Movement begins in
>> Jrustela) and 734 (Return to Rightness Crusade completes liberation
>> of Seshnela).

> So, you reckon we can all add "675: Invisible God discovered" to our
> historical diaries? This may work, I don't know; I'll add it to the
> petard file, and see how deft your footwork proves in future.

No, earlier than 675. You don't form a crusade (or rather jihad) around a freshly spawned religious revelation, even Mohammed needed at least 10 years to make his book start to become a world-conquering movement.

The yellow rice-ball I cast into the fray:
> Not that I'd much object to a yellow form a rice. After all, the
> Kralori and Happan varieties probably should be less closely related
> than their "analogues". Having the similar types all the way from
> Glamour to the East Isles might be questionable, given the distance,
> not to say the gaps.

IMO Dara Happan rice should be bright in colour, and have round corns - Runic associations at work...