Vegetarianism

From: MOBTOTRM_at_vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 1995 23:10:36 +1100

G'day all,

Vegetarianism

I have steered right away from this debate, which I feel deserves to die a natural death (brought on, no doubt, due to a lack of protein). However, in the Alex Pherkgusson Special, he quoth Sandy:

> My personal favorite vegetarian of all time was the (real
> world) guy who told me bare-faced, "I consider pepperoni to be a
> vegetable."

...to which Alex added:

>I can't top that, but I can also top pizza with my nominee: a
>vegetarian friend of mine once asserted that anchovies were
>vegetables. This was, however, clearly the result of Bufuddlement,
>rather than Revisionism.

On the school camp I have just come back from we had a kid who told me emphatically he was a vegetarian. I made sure the camp manager was aware of this before we left so he wouldn't starve.

However, at the first breakfast I noted this kid tucking into eggs and bacon! (When I pointed out he was eating 'dead pig' he said, no, bacon doesn't come from pigs it comes from sheep - which he later changed to cows). He then proceeded to eat hot dogs, hamburgers and sausages at meals during the week. He explained to me that he was a 'vegetarian' in that he "didn't like pork chops or lamb casserole". No wonder my job sometimes makes my head spin!

Adrian White:

I really enjoyed your letter from Count Julan. Just the sort of thing he'd be doing in Pavis. I guess Julan didn't consider it secret enough to have used the cipher (see "The Lunar Coders" in SiP), and he may have even shown Sor-eel the letter before dispatching it. Sor-eel would no doubt have been both flattered and alarmed by its content (maybe that's why it never arrived?)

You asked about Lunars using 7's as a basic squad size and 8 for Yelmies. We are currently working on groups of 10 for the Yelmies, and 7's for Lunars. However, there is a move to standardise across all the regiments in the Lunar Army, which will see them provisioned and funded as if they had units of 7. This brilliant theory, from some hotshot at the Alkoth Military College, is likely to infuritate the DH regiments if brought into practise.

Cheers

MOB