Historical vegetarians

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 95 19:13:03 GMT

One "Camo" quoteth myself:
> Alex, talking about historical vegetarians:

Nooooooo, I was talking about beliefs that eating "meat" was right out, but fish were more or less okay.

> >The only historical case I know that reflects
> >this order is certain Japanese Buddhist sects

> The Franciscan Order started out (and still mostly is) vegetarian.

Recall we were talking about the historical basis for Trul's mammals > fish distinction. There are indeed other historical examples of pure veggies, conspicuously the Jains, some Hindi sects, and some of the other Buddhist sects.

Alex.