Matters Kralori and Nilsian.

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 95 19:15:50 GMT

Nils Weinander continues to tear his hair out, now no longer sure he knows the question to which he has the Greggly answer, "Yes". (Concerning which list of Kralori emperors is complete, and in what sense.)

> <Sigh> I never thought of that, which of course complicates things
> further, since I'm now no longer convinced that I'm wrong, or right,
> or whatever.

Well, if you're all _that_ worried about the One True Greg's opinion on the matter, go ask him. He doesn't bite. Well, actually, he does occassionally, but that's usually instructive.

Personally I like Sandy's theory ("Lots of the buggers"); do you have lots of background work and/or emotional energy invested in the opposite premise? Or have you just had an attack of Completism?

> Well, in the Kralorelan afterlife devised by Thalurzni you are _not_
> reborn, but get out of the cycle by accompanying the emperor to the
> thirteenth dimension to the left or something.

Eventually you do (hopefully); but aren't people's souls busy reincarnating in the meantime? If this is indeed what was previously believed, the two beliefs are more likely to have been subtly combined, than just chucking the first out entirely.

So I think they believe something like: keep living until you get it right; having had a suitably nifty, you shuttle off to the grand Vithelan waiting room; if you're dead, good, and in Vithela when the Emperor dies, you get to go Beyond. Otherwise, you're stuck until your number's called next.

Elsewhere, Nils muses chaotically:
> 2. Who were [the Devil's] followers? Like any god of great might he must
> have had mortal worshippers?

> 3. If so, are there any of these still around?

He probably had some sizeable cult in the Darkness, but currently only a very few complete nutters would worship him. There are probably many, many more imputations of Devil Worship than actual cases. Chaotic types may say the odd good (bad?) word for him in their other services, but that'd be mostly it. Of course, if some Part of the Devil started manifesting itself in some tangible way, this could certainly change.

> Duocanth (Sandy's kralorelan monster):
> Is it chaotic or does it just have the bad luck too look like it?

I don't think the Easterns are really very exercised by whether things are chaotic or not. I mean, if the Crimson Bat turned up on their doorstep, they would not be best pleased, and would sternly enjoin it to desist from eating people, but the mere fact that it was chaotic wouldn't preoccupy them much. The Theyalans would put this down to Enlightenment, blinding them to the dangers of chaos, but this might be getting things backwards; it may be that Enlightenment is a part of Eastern philosophy, in a much less dramatic and contentious way than Illumination is in the Wareran bits, _because_ the Kralori are less apt to see the world in terms of Irreconcilable Opposites (or "Dualism", as the Theyalans go in for it.)

Daniel McCluskey comments on Orlanth "acquiring" Darkwalk:
> It seems that part of the traditional Uz Wedding ceremony consists
> of the husband-to-be slipping into his (ahem) "beloved"'s chambers and
> making off with something.

Good plan! The episode of Red Dwarf where Lister makes off with the hairy-things-with-fang's oxygen recycling unit springs to mind as a model...

Alex.