Hippos, Holy Writ.

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 95 23:11:00 GMT

Sandy gets a new subject line! Alas, not such a new subject...
> I envisioned a terrifying mass of hippo riders charging towards
> the helpless caravan.

I think Lewis and Sandy need to settle down for a game of two-handed Hungry Hippos ("Another fine game, from MB!") as soon as is practicable, to get this out of their collective systems.

Sandy explains why he's said nothing controversial (!) of late, and only posts on matters on which he's not only clueless, but seen to be clueless:
> because I fear that statements by me might be mistaken for Gospel
> From On High, and I don't want to poison the well. Everyone seems
> game to debate with me about more mundane matters [...]

O Them of little backbone. Personally, I imagine I'll surprise no-one when I say I'm prepared (at least in principle) to argue with Sandy on any subject, on any day of the week. ;-) The substantial exception being when he claims argumentum ad Greg; and no prizes for figuring out why...

Here's a good backup excuse for non-participation, though, in the Nature of The Gods thread; it's a silly, fruitless, endlessly recurring, open-ended, and ultimately inderminable question. But aren't they all?, I hear you say.

> The fact is I've had a number of discussions back in the
> early days of Glorantha with Greg about the nature of the

Like Henk, I suspect he took a Gift Carrier between the eyeballs. However, I'm confident it's just a temporary setback, and he'll have eaten it alive before I upload this very message.

> The Big Question for Glorantha [i.e., Is
> there a god?] is solved for almost everybody.

Just as it used to be "solved", or really, never even posited in the first place, for most people on Earth, of course.

> >Hey, Sandy - does anywhere in Glorantha have those picturesque
> >limestone karsts like they have in China?
> It had better. Not only that we need a place with lots of
> little volcanic cones like in Turkey.

Well me, I want a Baikal Lake someplace. And Sam wants a loch in Sartar, so there. ;-)

> I do not think there were any orthodox beliefs of the First
> Age. This entire age was a massive state of flux for Malkionism.
> [entertainly chaotic and flux-ridden timeline]

I certainly wouldn't disagree with the schism-filled nature of this summary.

The main worry I have about this is that there seems to be no account taken of any post-Malkion, pre-Hrestol "Malkioni", and assumes that everyone's Brithini at this point. Now, it's possible that the whole Solace of the Body (which the Brithini don't believe in, recall), is just a Hrestoli RetCon, but I doubt it. Or I prefer to believe otherwise, at least.

So I would suggest there's _another_ possible schism here; some of the Brithini have, at the Dawn, "converted" to Malkionism, some have not. "Hrestolism" arises in the former, and starts converting both. So at one point, one has orthodox Brithini; "pure" Malkioni; Hrestolised Malkioni; and (a probably small number of) straight Brithini to Hrestolism converts. Yet more fun.

Alex.