Re: Veggie values (not nutritional).

From: Truls Parsson <Truls.Parsson_at_eua.ericsson.se>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 95 15:09:59 +0100

Alex Ferguson wrote about my ranking list:
> >> I would use people > animals > fish > plants

>> As far as I know all history examples follow this "general" guideline.

>History doesn't have a lot of examples of people refraining from noshing
>animals, especially for "sentimental" reasons. Almost all cases involve
>animals which considered either unclean or holy, with the odd example
>of blanket prohibition.

I agree that there are very few examples. But of those that exists all follow the above or just exclude single animals.

>Note that I'm not saying this value-ordering is Wrong, just that I
>don't see it is a universal thing. Furthermore, it's somewhat Boring
>for game purposes to assume that an Arroyan cultist is going to find
>people with exactly the same ideas of a Ethical Diet wherever in the
>Wide Wide World they travel.

I would say it would probably be the most common. How common would depend upon what you think suits the existing cultures, but I would use it as my basic assumption and then look at which would work as exceptions. Execeptions are always fun. Say that 90% follow my proposed order and 10% don't it's the 10% that will be remembered. And it was meant as a general guideline, after all there will be differences between two cultures who has the same order. Say if Horses are important they might be added between animals and persons or they might be grouped with persons. remember small differences can be fun as people often assume that if it's similar it's the same. And boy do they get suprised when they find out it's not.