The God Learners

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 08 Mar 95 03:57:00 EST

Alex, again:

> Nick's theory about the "origin" of the IG creates the somewhat awkward
> situation that most Malkioni, out of a desire to not mention the
> unmentionable G*d L**rn*rs, and to not admit that their doctrine has
> ever changed, are unable to even allude to what is (allegedly) the most
> historic and important event in the development of their faith. One
> would think that they would be able to acknowedge it in some politified
> way.

In my "History of Malkionism", available in the Sog City University Guide (and soon to be reprinted in Tales #13), I reconciled it thus:

JRUSTELA was a continent in the Central Oceans of Glorantha, which was first settled in the Dawn Age by Seshnegi colonists. It became a haven for radical sorcerers, traditionalist wizards, banished philosophers and exiled noblemen from all over the West: anyone unwelcome in their homeland could find a new life in the Jrusteli Colonies. Together, these forces formed a powerful new school of thought, which dedicated itself at first to the reunification of Malkioni thought in the wake of the Deceiver's lies and Arkat's defection.

THE RETURN TO RIGHTNESS began as an intellectual movement, born in reaction to the spread of heresy throughout the West. A group of wise and pious scholars collected together all the prophecies attributed to Malkion and Hrestol, searching for their inner meaning. Through the use of pure reason, they stripped away many of the false accretions that had grown around true doctrine. For their dedication to this task, they are known as the God Learners. Armed with righteous zeal, they launched a great crusade to liberate the other nations of the West from their heretical errors and subjugate their false gods to the One True God.

THE GOD LEARNERS overthrew the Waertagi naval monopoly, using the demonic power of the Firebergs to defeat that sea-born race. Through the pious purity of their faith, they defeated every foe, and in every clime they preached the truth of the One Supreme Invisible God. They liberated the kingdom of Seshnela from its barbaric overlords, and drove out the unrighteous rulers of Loskalm. They destroyed the Stygian Empire, shattering its shadowy cult of Arkat into a thousand splintered forms. On the Dark Continent of Pamaltela they founded cities and built empires. Yet in this greatness lay the roots of their downfall, for in glorying at their success they forgot the simple faith which had brought them power and dominion.

THE MIDDLE SEA EMPIRE stretched across every Ocean, to the farthest Eastern Isles and the uttermost shores of the South. But the insatiable curiosity of the God Learners was never satisfied with the truths they had discovered. They sought ever greater knowledge and power. They transgressed the limits set by piety, and pried into unholy secrets. In seeking to understand all things, they came to comprehend nothing. Some lapsed into decadence or fell into the worship of demons; others commanded that they themselves be worshipped as gods. By the tenth generation, they had completely forgotten the Laws of the Invisible God and his Prophet Malkion which their pious ancestors had rediscovered.

THE DOWNFALL of the God Learners is universally attributed to the Wrath of God. Outraged at the blasphemies committed in His Name, the Invisible God unleashed curses and destruction upon the Jrusteli. Foul demons which they thought they had imprisoned or destroyed were loosed against them; kingdoms were wracked by fire and storm; catastrophes of every kind struck them by land and sea. The proud towers of their cities were cast down; their rule was everywhere overthrown. The oceans devoured first their fleets, then their homeland, as the Waertagi returned to send Jrustela beneath the waves of death. The ancient land of Seshnela, the heart of their Empire, was shattered by earthquakes then drowned by floods. None of the God Learners survived.

I think that's satisfactory: compare with the real-world treatment of Solomon the Wise (polygamist, polytheist, cavorter with demons, etc.).

The Castle Coast sect of "Old Seshnelan Chivalry" (V1 #131), as you will recall, sees the history of the West as an oscillation between Chivalry and Sorcery. Their explanation of the Downfall of the God Learners went like this:

The line of Flame Kings, descended from Gerlant, ruled the mighty Middle Sea Empire of the Second Age. Seshnegi Knights formed the cutting edge of the Return to Righteousness Crusade that overthrew the Trollish rulers of Safelster. The Kings of Seshnela were at first wise and pious monarchs. But in later years they paid too much heed to the words of their wizards, and were led step by step into overweening pride. The whole land of Old Seshnela was destroyed by vile Sorcery at the close of the Second Age: the earth rolled over, sending the fair cities and castles crashing down; a tidal wave swept through the south, eradicating all in its path; finally, the seas rose up to engulf all but the highest places of the old Kingdom.

So they retain the global "History of Malkionism" attitude posted above, but refine it down to fit into their Knights vs. Sorcerers paradigm.

If you have any more problems, Alex, please ask! Most of this background reasoning exists somewhere: I've been working intensively on Malkionism for a couple of years, now, and recognise most of the "problems" people are coming up with; but I think it's kinder and gentler to present these front-end products to the world first, rather than getting sidetracked into the tangled arguments that back each of them up, and never arriving at the conclusion in consequence.

Full Stop.

Nick

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #202