Re: maunderings

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idpentium.idsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 95 11:59:54 -0600

Mike Cule
>So the Sedalpists == the Castle Coasters?

        Nope. The Sedalpists are the major Pamaltelan sect. The Castle Coasters (aka Old Seshnegi Chivalry) are a group of reactionary die-hards who live along the north coast of Seshnela and west coast of Tanisor. Their sect is comparatively small; that is, it is probably the sixth-largest church of Malkion in existence, after the Rokari, Hrestoli, Sedalpists, Stygians, or Jonatings. Unless we count the manifold Syanorans as all one big church.

PMichaels
> The first warrior ... didn't sell his body, and he didn't sell the
>body of his brother either. He was, to put it simply, responsible
>for his own actions. It was a straightforward sort of code - a

> good place for a warrior to start.

        A stupendous summary of the Humakti Code. Generations of soldiers taught to sell their bodies has been a blight upon the world, only eased by the occasional times that men fought, not as hired killers, but in defense of what they loved. The Revolutionary French first inculcated the concept of fighting for a cause -- inventing soldiers who fought, not out of discipline, or fear, or hate, or greed, but because they believed their cause was right. U.S. Grant, in his memoirs, feels that the men he commanded in 1861-1865 were the best in the world because almost every man in it was a volunteer, fighting for liberty. Of course, the disadvantage of Fighting For A Cause is that it's hard to use your army against non-aggressor nations, so you have to invent a Clausewitzian doctrine in which the War is the Cause. Blech. Ah well. Any military buffs wishing to figure out what the hell I meant by the previous statement is welcome to write to me privately.

>The Sartarite Humakti honor is DIFFERENT and SEPARATE from

>the honor of the Sartarite Orlanthi.

        Sadly, however, I do not think that this is do. Your typical

Sartarite Humakti has Orlanthi parents, Orlanthi grandpparents, weds
an Orlanthi wife, has Orlanthi kids, has an Orlanthi chieftain, and
goes to fight for Orlanthi causes. He's not in a little bubble, a
little private culture of his own. He's very much steeped in Orlanthi virtues, Orlanthi vices, Orlanthi truths, and Orlanthi errors.

        While they may alter the standard code of honor somewhat from the run-of-the-mill Orlanthi, this is absolutely perceived as Changes, Additions, and Deletions from a basic code, not as a whole different attitude towards life.

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #203