Re: Humakti outlaws

From: via RadioMail <David>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 10:58:44 -0800

David answering Greybeard:

>Do people agree that Humakti in Orlanthi society in Sartar are outlaws?

No, for a couple reasons.

  1. I don't think all Sartarite Humakti go through the Greydog ritual of kinship severance. I think the mainstream Sartarites in effect marry into the Humakt temple (when you marry into a new clan, you become a member of that clan, but still have ties to your original clan).
  2. Although I agree with Peter Michaels that Humakti Honor isn't Sartarite Honor, this doesn't mean Humakti are outlaws. Outlaws are people you can kill if you see them. If you shelter them, you can get in trouble. They will steal from people at will because, after all, they're outlaws, what more can you do to them? They have to live outside society, often with the unsavory company of other outlaws. [The saga of Grettir the Strong has the best portrayal of outlawry I've read. It's very sad. Usually Icelandic outlaws just sailed away somewhere else and joined Norwegian society.]

If you see a Humakti, would you look to the safety of your sheep, and figure out how you could kill him? No. Would the King of Sartar keep a band of outlaws? No, because he wouldn't be upholding the laws of the kingdom.

So I think most Sartarites treat most Humakti as black sheep members of their family, who moved away and never write, and joined a weird cult fixated on death. They'd be happy to throw a feast for them if they ever showed up again.