Humakti

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 08 Mar 95 14:38:09 EST

Tom asks:

> Do people agree that Humakti in Orlanthi society in Sartar are outlaws?

No. Not in the Trickster sense, or the Robin Hood sense. Though if you take that kin-severing over-literally, they could be in the "no longer in-laws" sense, I suppose.

They are far too heavily associated with defined legal functions (like Champion or Oath-Taker, or being the guy at the Thing who stares at the opposition to put them off lying) to be outside Sartarite law. Maybe for one clan or tribe, but not as a general rule.

BTW, did you expect people to agree, or was it just a test question? Why not try posting some longer questions, so people can work out what you're asking them for?

Martin points out:

> ... some necessary corrollaries to Nick's theory, [hoping to] discuss
> if they are a) consistent with published sources, and b) fun to game.

Your suggestions all look fine to me. I'd suggest trying to write up an entertaining 1620's (RQ-era) sect or heresy or scenario-nugget based on them, rather than just presenting a dry bare-bones list. And some of your ideas seem rather closer to the Christian parallel I was moving you and Mike away from than anything I have ever suggested. Maybe this is motes and beams time, though.

> maybe the fact that Hrestolism "works" is considered proof enough

But Brithini-ism and Malkionism "work", too. Hrestolism just appears more spiritually attractive, while offering the same hope of eternal reward to its followers.

Sandy writes:

> Your typical Sartarite Humakti has Orlanthi parents, Orlanthi grand-
> parents, weds an Orlanthi wife, has Orlanthi kids, has an Orlanthi
> chieftain, and goes to fight for Orlanthi causes. He's not in a little
> bubble, a little private culture of his own. He's very much steeped in
> Orlanthi virtues, Orlanthi vices, Orlanthi truths, and Orlanthi errors.

This is one of the most important things to remember when roleplaying in Glorantha, in my opinion. To borrow from the excellent RQ3 GoG/WoG model, all of our characters are living at the conflux of what their Priest says and what their Father says. Sacred and Mundane, Ideal and Reality. No man is an island. Et cetera. There is *far* more to most characters than hard and fast adherence to their cultic virtues above all else. Family, clan, culture, friendships, personal preference: all these can and must exist and modify the "cult line". Unless we like playing Chinese Menu games...

Thanks, Sandy!

Nick