Orthodox Church of Nikosdros

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 08 Mar 95 15:55:58 EST

OK, here (at last) is David Hall's write-up of the Sedalpist Church of Nikosdros: an indigenous Pamaltelan Malkioni sect. I hope you enjoy it!

The Orthodox Church of Nikosdros

History

Our beliefs were formed during the Time of Great Isolation when the seas were closed and the elves ruled many lands with terror and assassination. These were times of great fear and folly, a time when the fanatical rule of the Cult of Silence was succeeded by humiliation and enslavement by the heretics of Afadjann.

From this chaos grew our beliefs and teachings. The Holy Law of the Seven Pens is our guide and code. This was written by the Sedalpi, seven holy men of Fengwal, during the Afadjanni occupation of Cerngoth. These holy men, the Sedalpists, were inspired by visions of Malkion and the Creator, who showed them the correct form of worship and bid that they write it down so that none should doubt it. The truth of their revelation is proved by the fact that each of the Seven had written exactly the same words. Public recitations from the Holy Law serve to unify our orthodox faith.

Now that the Great Isolation is over, our devotion is being tested by the influx of new heresies from the splintered faiths of the northern continent. We must be patient and stoic, and present our true beliefs to those lost and mistaken souls who tread a similar, but wrong, path.

Under the leadership of the divine Patriarch of Nikosdros our faith has embraced many others in this land and shared with them the secrets of the Holy Law. It is a long education process but the early results are most encouraging.

We must always remember the words of the Patriarch: If there is dissent amongst us of the Invisible God then elves will begin their terror anew, and the pagans will rule again.

Theology

We follow our Holy Law of the Seven Pens written down by the seven holy men at the behest of Malkion, the Holy Prophet.

There is only one god and he is the Invisible God. His prophet was Malkion.

We believe that death is only ever caused as the result of sinful actions. Sin is the breaking of our Holy Law of the Seven Pens. This includes impure thoughts, theft, adultery, falsehood, drunkenness, gluttony, heretical thoughts, envy, slander, avarice, inane speech, indecency, and arguing with a priest or your lord. Anyone who ever causes the death of another human being can never attain the Holy Paradise. Such an act is a mortal sin.

We believe that each man or woman is born in their castes, lives in their caste and dies in their caste. No man or woman may change their caste or marry outside of their caste: to do so is a mortal sin.

The caste of knights is the unclean caste. They have the blood of humans on their hands from ages past and this is why they are now so few in number. Our Holy Law states that this class will only be purified when the evil races of non-humans are no more. This is why they are the only worshippers of the Faith allowed to fight non-humans.

We believe that death is caused by Sin. Those who are completely sinless will never die - see how the divine Patriarch has aged so little. However, most of us cannot but help sin a little. But, if we are good and pious, and always strive to follow our Holy Law then when we do die we will go to Holy Paradise. Those who continually sin and do not follow our Holy Law are evil and their souls will dissapate so that their essence will be lost forever.

Women are inferior to men in spiritual terms. They lack the intellectual capacity of men, as well as their strength. Therefore they can never hold positions of responsibility or power.

Trade is a noble occupation that benefits the whole community. Anyone of any caste may trade or lend money. The lending of money at a rate of interest is acceptable as it aids the movement of trading funds from those who have to those who have not.

Alchemical and astrological investigations should only be practised by those of the Wizard caste. These are avenues of investigation that the Patriarch regards as of great benefit to future trade, and to the Faith.

Hierarchy

The Church is ruled by the divine Patriarch of Nikosdros who has not aged since the time that he was 25 years old. His secular dominions are ruled by his Governors and Janns. His spiritual dominions are ruled by the Sedalpi. There are three Sedalpi in Vralos (including the exiled Sedalpi of Tortrica), and one in Enkloso. Each are of the same rank, under the authority of the Patriarch.

Important Saints

Saint Hrestol was a man who, in a time of great conflict and fear, broke his caste taboos and killed another human being. He realised the error of his ways and to purify the other castes he created the impure knight caste. He is cursed and can only remain in Holy Paradise during the daytime - at night he must leave paradise and lead the fight against the non-humans.

Saint Rokar was a Holy Man who brought back the strictures of the caste system to the Malkioni of the northern continent. He was burnt by heretics for his beliefs, but his followers prevailed.

The Silent Prophet was a Holy Man who founded the Cult of Silence after a blissful revelation. Its meaning was misinterpreted by his most fanatical worshippers, who warped his cult into a monstrous crusade that would have turned the whole continent into a silent wasteland, mutilating their enemies' organs of communication to force Silence upon them. When these stifling fanatics were cast down by the Clamourers, the inner knowledge of the Cult was all but destroyed as well. The Seven Holy Men rescued the secrets of the Silent Prophet, and included them in the Holy Law of the Seven Pens.

Attitudes to Other Sects

Hrestoli: These heretics have forgotten the lessons that were learned by Saint Hrestol and they not only practise caste mobility but they allow those of every caste to kill human beings. They are all surely condemned to entropy.

Rokari: This sect believes in caste immobility and its scriptures have many similarities to the Holy Law. Their worshippers in the domains of the Patriarch have proved most co-operative and willing to be incorporated within the True Faith of the Sedalpists.

Stygians: These people have beliefs very similar to the pagans who we hire out as mercenaries to fight our Righteous War against the Tyrant of Tortrica. They are useful, but most of them can never see Holy Paradise unless we guide them.

The Vadeli: A useful but devious people. Their knowledge of trade is second to none, as is their control over it. Due to their sinful ways with their children and enemies they are condemned to never enter Holy Paradise, though they do not appear to care. Treat them with respect and caution.

Nick